Getting a Job from Overseas

Getting a Job from Overseas

Hi

I'm currently based in Europe and I wish to move to Hong Kong. I am a Software Developer with 5+ years experience with technologies that are currently in demand.
    Capturing the initial interest of a company is not a problem to me, I do have a BIG problem however, in the next step.

I'm always getting emails like:
    "Will you please contact us again when you have actually arrived in Hong Kong.
    Then we will be able to discuss the interview possibility."

I'm very, VERY, serious about moving to Hong Kong, but i don't want (nor do I have enough resources) to move without a promised Job.

How can I ask them in a way that won't make them lose interest, if I can get at least an initial interview over the phone?

Thanks in advance for all the replies.

That's good news for you. I would get a contact name and number and offer to ring them at which time you could explain your situation. You should understand that any employer will want to meet a candidate before making a firm and binding offer. Makes sense?

What resources have you been using to apply for jobs? My advice to you would be to arrange a holiday to HK for a couple of weeks and inform companies that you will be in HK for those dates and available for interview. It is possible to enter HK on a visitors Visa and go for interviews.

jk47_99's advice is good, as that's how I secured an interview while I was still in the U.S. If you tell them exactly when you'll be in town, I think they'd be inclined to set up an interview during those dates.

Assuming that's not possible -- because you don't have the resources to come here -- how about asking them to pay for the cost of flying here for the interview? That's been known to happen, and if they're seriously interested, they may help pay for at least a portion of the flight.

But physically being here is a really important gesture to show them you're willing to make the move; otherwise, employers would feel like they're wasting their time.

I agree with the comments you have received. Try to visit Hong Kong and meet prospective employers during this time. It does give a good indication of your commitment.

Hi,

I thought I might contribute here as I was in the same situation as you a few years back. I am also a software developer with around 5 years experience. What technologies do you have experience in that are in "demand"? - it may not be the same situation in HK.

Getting a job as a software developer is difficult in HK. Programmers are not valued very much here. Being a foreigner you are also probably only limited to big international companies as most local companies require you to read/write chinese.

Are you also expecting a relocation / expat package if you do get an offer from a company?

Last edited by fatmat; 23-05-2007 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmat:
    Hi,

I thought I might contribute here as I was in the same situation as you a few years back. I am also a software developer with around 5 years experience. What technologies do you have experience in that are in "demand"? - it may not be the same situation in HK.

Getting a job as a software developer is difficult in HK. Programmers are not valued very much here. Being a foreigner you are also probably only limited to big international companies as most local companies require you to read/write chinese.

Are you also expecting a relocation / expat package if you do get an offer from a company?

I'm quite experiment with ERP packages, especially Microsoft's Dynamics Nav. Aside from that, I have good level in most common programming languages like VB.NET, Java and C#.

I already have basic Chinese level, and continue to study it.

I am not expecting any kind of expat packages, although any help is appreciated.