HK Locals can't even speak english!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Yeah I agree with you the Locals (define?) do not know how to speak english, also the air pollution is really horrible, the taxis are thiefs, the politicians are corrupted, the girls are materialistics, people spit on the MTR, the customer service suck, the expats are a bunch of IBanker who know nothing aside from drinking in LKF, the brits were colonialist who never developped the city, the education system suck, the locals eat weird stuffs at MacDonalds....
    Why come to HK then.........gosh guys really wonder why some come here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheroad:
    I'd love to know what nationality eagerbeaver is, and how many languages he speaks fluently, because most French, English, American, Australian, people I know don't speak another language than their own, or at least not fluently. Why should different standards apply elsewhere?
    agree. why should every speak english when 90% countries doesnt have fluent english speakers. why dont every start speaking chinese, french etc... why we always wants english to be world's language when only North americans and brits know it well(?)

I don't think that he's saying different standards apply elsewhere - he seems to be getting at the fact that if you're in a professional position that requires English because business at your company is conducted in English then you should speak English. Lots of jobs here require professional employees that can speak English, fluently - particularly US or European Ibanks and accounting and law firms. Its very important when dealing with regulatory agencies in England and the US and clients who expect to communicate in English. But, there are also lots of jobs that don't require great English. Perfect English is much less important for professionals at organizations that have their head offices in non-English speaking countries, or that conduct the majority of their business in a language other than English. Its also not really necessary for non-professionals and support staff to have great English language skills.

That being said, I really don't understand his angry rant. We do live in HK and should expect that not all local employees have a great command of the English language.

Last edited by hello_there; 16-05-2007 at 12:32 PM.

Whilst eagerbeaver's post does come across as inflammatory, I too noticed that the standard of English here is low which is surprising given that:

(1) up until 10 years ago HK was a British colony
    (2) English is supposed to an official second language
    (3) some other countries in Asia seem to have a better command of English notwithstanding that items (1) and (2) do not apply to them.

Quote Originally Posted by funnie:
    why we always wants english to be world's language when only North americans and brits know it well(?)
    There are 74 countries in the world which list English as their official language.
    Holland is probably the most multi-lingual country.

Quote Originally Posted by funnie:

agree. why should every speak english when 90% countries doesnt have fluent english speakers. why dont every start speaking chinese, french etc... why we always wants english to be world's language when only North americans and brits know it well(?)
    You are so blinkered it makes me laugh. Your last line is a sad admission of your comprehension of the language. Your Cantonese and/or Mandarin may be better than mine but try travelling around the world with just those under your belt and you will see just how important it is to be able to communicate in English (I am double-checking my grammar and spelling as I type!).
    The OP's observations are correct and highlights how pathetic human resources personnel are when hiring people who do not meet their primary requirements. Asia's World City - yeah right.

Nijntje

Exclamation

MAt

I feel sad about your post. Seems you have too much complaints about HK. But WHY you come and stay here and work here then? No one force you right? You have your own choice. If you think HK really suck, please go back to your own place. Please be respect HK and the people here!! Not all the locals here are as bad as you describe!! There are many talented and potential people around! Pls behave!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Yeah I agree with you the Locals (define?) do not know how to speak english, also the air pollution is really horrible, the taxis are thiefs, the politicians are corrupted, the girls are materialistics, people spit on the MTR, the customer service suck, the expats are a bunch of IBanker who know nothing aside from drinking in LKF, the brits were colonialist who never developped the city, the education system suck, the locals eat weird stuffs at MacDonalds....
    Why come to HK then.........gosh guys really wonder why some come here.
    Last edited by Nijntje; 16-05-2007 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    You are so blinkered it makes me laugh. Your last line is a sad admission of your comprehension of the language. Your Cantonese and/or Mandarin may be better than mine but try travelling around the world with just those under your belt and you will see just how important it is to be able to communicate in English (I am double-checking my grammar and spelling as I type!).
    The OP's observations are correct and highlights how pathetic human resources personnel are when hiring people who do not meet their primary requirements. Asia's World City - yeah right.
    i am also an expat and like you, donno canthonese and Mandarin. But i donno blame anyone why they donno english.
    localites have to stay in hk so they have to learn local language. we guys wants to stay in hk then we should change yourself.
    i know english can be a good communicaion medium. why you want so many people to learn english, why dont you just learn canthoese and solve the problem.

you are in a differnet country dude. that country will adopt or change itself for you. you have change urself to fit here.

hope this make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje:
    MAt

I feel sad about your post. Seems you have too much complaints about HK. But WHY you come and stay here and work here then? No one force you right? You have your own choice. If you think HK really suck, please go back to your own place. Please be respect HK and the people here!! Not all the locals here are as bad as you describe!! There are many talented and potential people around! Pls behave!!
    Did you understand or miss his post entirely....It's a joke targeted at OP, buddy!
    Last edited by sunniefaith; 16-05-2007 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dychen85:
    I guess its a complement then when everyone at work thinks im from Singapore.
    That would be "compliment," not "complement." Standard of English on this tread (including the original post) not always up to scratch either...
    Nobody ever heard of stones in a glasshouse?

if every HKer speaks and understands native english, what is the foreigners value in HK? that's why you are here and get hired.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast