HK Locals can't even speak english!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

HK Locals can't even speak english!

And they call HK an International city. I just started my new job and I was shocked when it became clear to me that the level of english in MNC is so low!

I was trying to understand how come some people who are definitely NOT competent for the job were hired in the first place and I was shocked again to learn that corruption in hiring is a normal practice in HK. It's like the Mafia here. People are hired because of some family links or "special" connexions.

One day I asked a manager why nobody was speaking good english in his division even though they had to deal daily with foreign customers. He answered "we all speak good english, what are you talking about"... I was shocked!!!! They can't even figure out that their english suck!!!!!!!!!! Unbelievable! HK is definitely NOT an international city, but just some Chinese city trying to look good in the face of the world.

Do you share the same thoughts?

at the end of the day, HK is a Chinese city - I don't think HK is trying to be anything else but... People who live in HK should learn to speak chinese if they want to be fully integrated into the society (vs. complaining that locals don't speak english)... not vice versa. English is supposed to be a second language there - not the primary... right? It's as if I live in the U.S. and I'm pissed that the people who live here can't all speak chinese... huh...?

I live in NY, a highly diverse place but I don't complain that the Caucasians I work with don't speak Chinese and claim why NY is not an 'international city'... why should it be diff in China? (which is where HK is... in China) Maybe if Western corporations want to do business in HK / china, they should start learning chinese and not expect everyone to cater to them and speak english.

Last edited by goleoboy; 16-05-2007 at 09:12 AM.

Yeah, this is the thing. It's true that a lot of people here think their English is better than it is. But at the same time, we've no right to expect any English at all. You're in China. And the "international city" thing, I'm not sure where that came from but I'd agree that many of the things it's said to mean don't apply here.

Quote Originally Posted by eagerbeaver:
    And they call HK an International city. I just started my new job and I was shocked when it became clear to me that the level of english in MNC is so low!

I was trying to understand how come some people who are definitely NOT competent for the job were hired in the first place and I was shocked again to learn that corruption in hiring is a normal practice in HK. It's like the Mafia here. People are hired because of some family links or "special" connexions.

One day I asked a manager why nobody was speaking good english in his division even though they had to deal daily with foreign customers. He answered "we all speak good english, what are you talking about"... I was shocked!!!! They can't even figure out that their english suck!!!!!!!!!! Unbelievable! HK is definitely NOT an international city, but just some Chinese city trying to look good in the face of the world.

Do you share the same thoughts?
    i'm confused... what's up with the statement "just some chinese city trying to look good..."? huh? since when is knowing / using english an indication of a city's standing? i hope you're not chinese - or else you should be ashamed of saying stuff like this...

is Paris an international city? they can't stand english there and wouldn't even speak it even if they know how..

the old saying...an average HK-er's english is definitely better than a U.S. joe-schmo's Chinese (which is literally nil)... not wrong or right... just need to put things in perspective.

>> that their english suck!!!!!!!!!!

Eloquence is your middle name, isnt it.

I'd assume that within the confined sense of the business that your company does, the employees are able to communicate via email / fax with their customers.

True?

What more do you need?

the last sentence is probably close even if you put 'english' for both sentences. 8-)

i read this stand up comedian joke:
    "oh i went to watch spiderman-3. i simply cannot believe the plot. there was actually this NY taxi driver in the movie and he spoke good english. how far fetch is that"....

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    the last sentence is probably close even if you put 'english' for both sentences. 8-)

i read this stand up comedian joke:
    "oh i went to watch spiderman-3. i simply cannot believe the plot. there was actually this NY taxi driver in the movie and he spoke good english. how far fetch is that"....
    hahah you are totally right Freeier. Cab drivers here (in NY) barely speak english and are the rudest I've ever experienced. they think they're doing you a favor by picking you up... NY cab drivers suck...
    Last edited by goleoboy; 16-05-2007 at 09:36 AM.

I don't care at all if HK locals don't speak a word of English. Why should they? But, I do care when a position in a multinational firm calls for the employee to be able to communicate competently in English with English speaking clients and they can't. It creates more work for me and has the potential to make the firm look bad. It also seems to foster some sort of resentment between otherwise well-qualified Chinese speaking folks and the native English speaking bunch in the office. I've noticed that coworkers from Singapore speak perfect, beautiful Mandarin and English. Its amazing.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast