Au Pair /Amah in Hongkong

Closed Thread

Question Au Pair /Amah in Hongkong

Hello @ all,
    I'm a young girl from Germany and I'm very fascinated by the city of HongKong.
    The next year I will do my exams at school and before going to university I'd love to work in Hongkong as an Au Pair or as an Amah how they're called. I will be 18 years old then.
    I've tried to find agencys or other possibilities in the web to get contact to host families were I could work, but I found none.
    It would be great if anyone of you could answer to some of my questions (I have many :-))
    1. Are there many families in Hongkong who have amahs (au pairs) from other countrys or are professional nannys the typical solution?
    2. Are there any weblinks that could help me? (For example homepages from agencies or from families searching amahs)
    3. Do you know any agencies for amahs/ au pairs or anyone I could contact to find a host family?

I hope I will get many answers, because spending some time before university in hongkong is my best dream and it would be so great if there were any possibilities to realize it!

Thank you very, very much!!!

Julia

Most people here use SE Asian amahs essentially as they are a lot cheaper than western world equivalents.

However I know a few girls who do work for families who came over from UK - I'll try to check with them how they got into that here.

Checked - have a friend who organises this sort of thing.

PM me if you want contact details.

Don't think these guys do au pairs but ... contact them.

http://www.thenannyexperts.com/

Thanks for your replies!

Does anyone maybe know anymore agencies or organisations I could reach by web?
    And I have one more question: Why do many families only employ asians? Okay, maybe because of the money, but I don't want to earn lots of money, I just want to spend time in HK!

Julia, most of the domestic helpers (amahs) in Hong Kong live in closet-size rooms in small apartments. In addition to caring for the children, they cook, clean, shop for groceries, pick up the spoiled children after school and carry their bags, walk the dog, wash the car. All this for a minimum wage of HK$3670 (<US$500) a month. There are not too many western counterparts willing to do this work.

You get that from DH's but then again you get broken English/Cantonese too. There may be a German / half German family that would really appreciate a native speaker taking care of their children - and may be ready to pay much more than the minimun wage for domestic helpers for such a nanny. German expats, why not give her a PM and agree Skype video call interview...