Like Tree10Likes

Do You Need A Car In Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    If you managed to get the car at -20%, what makes you think that someone will be willing to cover your assumed profit when you decide to sell?
    Stoob, because I have sold a great many cars abroad, to Cyprus, New Zealand and Australia, especially when Aus vehicle import laws were a lot easier, we filled most of K Lines RoRo service out of Kwai Chung, "we" as in Aussies, back in the day, we were the Kings of Kwai Chung.....

And my response to 100LL, can be found in this article http://www.evworld.com/library/pacinst_hummerVprius.pdf regarding the Prius versus Hummer diatribe.

We also own a VW Jetta TDI DSG back in Aus, as i am a big fan of todays Euro Diesel advancements, which suits very high mileage highway driving to get the most out of it, which is what we use it for. However, in a city cycle environment ( Hong Kong is all City cycle ) The Prius nails the Jetta in this area , is bigger than the Jetta also but pretty similar in every other regard, I do prefer the K tail Hatchback where carrying kids paraphernalia is concerned. But they both have their pros and cons.

HK is still a bit slow to adopt TDI tech, so for the moment, the Prius is HK's most fuel efficient/reliable second hand car buy, that, can carry around a family of 4 in spacious comfort, offering superior headroom than the Jetta, and manages to easily use less fuel in Hong Kongs 98% city cycle environment. They are pretty close during rural highway long distance driving runs, as per my short clip above which ended up being 4.7 litres per 100km by the time we pulled into our inner city Melbourne home from our family agistment 150km away.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 19-06-2011 at 09:49 AM.

Not long after we arrived in Hong Kong we got a second hand car. I loved using the car.

We used the car every day to take the kids to school, Lantau Island to Kowloon Tong, and back home again. Also on weekends to visit friends in Sai Kung/Clearwater Bay etc. A few times a year we would drive to Hong Kong Island but because we didnt do it very often we usually got lost!

After 5 years we lost our car due to an accident. The kids are now older and 'happily' use the MTR to travel around to school and on weekends independently.
    If we all need to go to the island or SaiKung we decide whether we MTR (usually one way) or book a taxi. I have a 'taxi guy' so get a cheaper rate than off the street. I now dont hesitate to use a taxi.

It actually is much cheaper for us without the car and all its associated costs BUT I do miss it and the convenience of having it (and not lugging everything around if I am out all day)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Stoob, because I have sold a great many cars abroad, to Cyprus, New Zealand and Australia, especially when Aus vehicle import laws were a lot easier, we filled most of K Lines RoRo service out of Kwai Chung, "we" as in Aussies, back in the day, we were the Kings of Kwai Chung.....

And my response to 100LL, can be found in this article http://www.evworld.com/library/pacinst_hummerVprius.pdf regarding the Prius versus Hummer diatribe.

We also own a VW Jetta TDI DSG back in Aus, as i am a big fan of todays Euro Diesel advancements, which suits very high mileage highway driving to get the most out of it, which is what we use it for. However, in a city cycle environment ( Hong Kong is all City cycle ) The Prius nails the Jetta in this area , is bigger than the Jetta also but pretty similar in every other regard, I do prefer the K tail Hatchback where carrying kids paraphernalia is concerned. But they both have their pros and cons.

HK is still a bit slow to adopt TDI tech, so for the moment, the Prius is HK's most fuel efficient/reliable second hand car buy, that, can carry around a family of 4 in spacious comfort, offering superior headroom than the Jetta, and manages to easily use less fuel in Hong Kongs 98% city cycle environment. They are pretty close during rural highway long distance driving runs, as per my short clip above which ended up being 4.7 litres per 100km by the time we pulled into our inner city Melbourne home from our family agistment 150km away.
    I've been put off buying a Prius now, they play awful music!!