Like Tree1Likes

UNSKILLED

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

UNSKILLED

alright

Since arriving in Hong Kong in early May I have decide I would like to settle here in Hong Kong permanently with my fiance who I met 18 months ago whilst traveling in Australia. The problem faced is that I am unskilled since no degree or trade qualification to my name.
    I have worked for 11 years since I was Sixteen with various companies back home and while traveling Australia over the last two years. My experience is mainly in customer service, tech support, admin, maintenance, farming, driver, removal work, bar man to name a few.

Seems like you need to be some hot shot banker type or english language teacher to get sponsorship over here, is that right?

Has anyone got any ideas? Thought I would chance my luck on the expat websites.

thanks, don't take the piss

Marc

You could go the teaching route and get yourself a TEFL qualification which can be done in a week if you want to.

Your chances of getting a job will be higher if you marry your fiancé since you won't need to be sponsored for a visa then. Without a 'skill' your chances are tough.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Your chances of getting a job will be higher if you marry your fiancé since you won't need to be sponsored for a visa then.
    I can't see anything that says his fiancee has any right of residence in HK either...

To the OP - what passport do you hold? If it's one of Aus, NZ, Irish, German, Japanese, Korean or Canadian then you could get a Working Holiday Visa which would get you a year here to begin with (although you'd be stuck at the end of that without any qualifications).
    Last edited by PDLM; 23-06-2011 at 09:57 PM.

I assumed she would of been legal. Guess one of them would have to be working. My bad.

Yeah my fiance is a Hong Kong citizen so thats always an option to get married now but would rather do that later, plus me ma would kill us too.

And I can't get the working holiday as I'm British which really is a joke and something we should have sorted before the handover i'd say.

I got an interview on sat btw for a teaching job, I told them I have no experience but they still want to see me so maybe thats a new career option. See how that goes, really hate public speaking but if its just kids might be ok

if you really serious about this, google "i to i tefl", pay 200 quid for an online course, add a few options such as the weekend treaching techniques

just like your missus struggle to get a working visa in blighty, this is the same here.

Be careful of the language centres - don't start work until your Employment Visa is in your passport: http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/54/thread195917.html

Mercos333 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    techniques

just like your missus struggle to get a working visa in blighty, this is the same here.
    She can get one easy back home if she wanted as she has the Brittish Citizen overseas passport which allows a working holiday for them. But she has never been to the UK.

I will look into the TEFL courses also, thanks for that

Quote Originally Posted by Mercos333:
    She can get one easy back home if she wanted as she has the Brittish Citizen overseas passport which allows a working holiday for them. But she has never been to the UK.

I will look into the TEFL courses also, thanks for that
    it's not as easy as you think, BNO does not allow working holidays or obtain proper working visa, I can tell for a fact as I know many hong kong chinese who over to uk to study ( and work part time) but once the study visa finishes, as the bno does not help get a working visa, majority of them will come back to HK if they can not get a working visa,
    in fact, high percentage (95%) of students will have BNO passports, but only less than 10% remain there after a year once their studies finishes because of this issue ( as well as others)

I have lived in uk for almost 30 years and have known many HK people who live, studies and a few sucussfully work there over the long term ( for the last 15 years) in UK

The BNO status only allow the owner to recieve a 60 day visa free holiday

the fact is that working visa in UK not far or is almost as hard as get one in HK
    Last edited by imparanoic; 24-06-2011 at 12:03 AM.

It's actually very easy firstly need to change the passport from hk to BNO which costs 1600hkd. You need to apply from outside the uk. It's called a youth mobility scheme but is exact same as working holiday and BNO is accepted along with a few other countries, anyone between 18 and 30 will be accepted. The other thing is you have to show you have the funds of sixteen hundred pound in your account for 90 days.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast