Like Tree3Likes

Why Do You Need To List Months In Hong Kong Resumes?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Misslee:
    Becarful, Don't say you were looking for job at that period, some human recourse people here really will think you have some problem so you can't find a new job within 1 months.
    Thanks for the warning. But what the heck?! New job within 1 month?????????????
    Someone please let me know how people find a new decent paying job within one month when the average american is out of work for over 7 months.
    Please.....share your secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by newarriver:
    Thanks for the warning. But what the heck?! New job within 1 month?????????????
    Someone please let me know how people find a new decent paying job within one month when the average american is out of work for over 7 months.
    Please.....share your secrets.
    I'd ignore that particular 'warning' as fairly random and erroneous.

Please kindly explain ...sorry didn't really understand that. Are you telling me to not worry about it? Hehe, did you think I was in hong kong already?

I am not lie, you will got me when you interview.
    I have no idea what experience you have, but as I have recruited two junior positions in the last few months, I can assure you that I didn't worry a jot about them being out of work for a few months. I would never expect people arriving here to get a job within a month - only low paid people with no skills perhaps, not a graduate seeking a serious position and thinking about the future career.

Having said, that the comments by the OP about rejecting "small company jobs with no future" sound extremely stupid - THAT would put me off. As the director of a small company, we see quite a future for ourselves and employees with us have a chance for much more hands on experience than they would in a larger firm - so rejecting small companies just shows immaturity on the part of the OP, so that would count against him.

Travelling, on the other hand, as Hull and PDLM have said, is a positive. Normally people who have travelled for a while have a broader experience. Not something the locals trolling this expat forum seem to know much about.

I think I offended you......sorry, wasn't my intent. I'm just speaking from my last experience at a small company and other people expressed similar experiences.
    I operated one myself too, so nothing against SMEs. And I'm not going (of course) to be that blunt if asked.

Last edited by newarriver; 26-06-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Movingin07

I am not gonna argue with you about this. Whatever you trust or not, I know I am not lie that is enough.

Everyone have choice to choose believe it or not.
    How many people have you recruited?
    MovingIn07, Satay Sue and elle like this.

I've never been out of work for more than a month since I was 16 except 3 months travelling one summer. But at times before I was a graduate I took low paying jobs like bar work while I searched (or part time while I studied). Basically I preferred this option to going on unemployment benefits.

A lot of people search for a new job while they're still working and make a direct switch. Just need to be careful not to let the current boss know you're doing this.

Not sure why you send out 500 plus applications for jobs a month. No wonder you might have got job offers from companies you think have no future. You are wasting your time (as well as the recruiters) if you apply for jobs you don't really want.

Besides that, recruiters can see through this reasonably easy with badly constructed applications and letters.

If you are really thinking about your future you would apply for jobs you are interested in.

Anyway, just an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    No - he was being serious. Taking 6-12 months out when you're young to go and see some of the world is generally regarded as a good thing by employers. Don't say you did it if all you did was bum around at your parents' home though.
    I am not sure that is the case with HK though. In my experience, The year out i took has counted against me, compared with others who went straight to work after uni. To me, all that seems to matter in HK is years of experience, nothing else

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Can't see that being a problem, certainly if I was recruiting I would see it as a positive.
    Exactly..it's never been a problem and I think it has been to my advantage several times as interviews have drifted off on travelling tangents showing me to be incredibly resourceful and courageous.........I never mention nearly drowning drunk in the Mekong, nearly getting arrested in Bali, running out of cash in Hanoi and having to phone my Mum to rescue me :-) Those bits I leave out!!