What are the most effective ways to post available Jobs to reach targets in HK

Closed Thread

Question What are the most effective ways to post available Jobs to reach targets in HK

Hi all,

I am new to this - but the whole thing looks cool. I have a problem. My company is expanding to Hk and is looking to hire a country manager (quite senior position) and marketing manager (not-so-senior, maybe fresh grads or a few yrs experience is suffice) from HK. The problem is we don't know what is the most effectively way to reach out to these people.

I read through the forum and saw that JobsDB is one choice. Are there other recommendations in terms of popular websites, or can i even post here? And would it be effective to put up posters around universities or somewhere? How do most people in HK search for job openings - through emails, websites or? Does anyone know the cost of advertising in job sites too?

Please advise! Thank you all!

jobsdb and monster.com.hk and perhaps advertise in SCMP and Apple Daily.

Watch out .. you'll get a lot of button pushers who tend to submit their resumes for every applicaiton, irrespective of your requirements.

AZHK, JobsDB and Monster.com.hk are probably the most popular job sites in Hong Kong. As user though, I find them a pain to navigate and I have to repeatedlly search with different terms to find a suitable posting that is inexplicably not under the logical category. I've also set up job search agents that are supposed to email job postings that match my search criteria. Somehow I never get these emails, yet when I return to the sites and search manually, there are plenty of postings. The Saturday Classified Post section (SCMP) is another major (and cluttered) source of job ads.

Many of the ads that appear in the SCMP and on the job sites are placed through recruitment firms, headhunters, etc.

If you are recruiting fresh graduates, you should contact the career & placement offices at local universities. HKU, HKUST and CUHK are better regarded institutions than the other 4. You can also try to post your ad at the various chamber of commerce websites.

hey, thanks for the prompt reply and advices. More more more please!

I checked Apple Daily and it seemed to be the second most popular newspapers in HK because of its juicy tabloids related news based on wikipedia. Is that true?

By the way, i found alot of headhunters under this link - http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/careers/headhunters.asp Can anyone advise which headhunters are more effective and not so costly?

Thanks a million!

It's hard to give more specific advice without knowing any particulars about your industry, the post(s) you are filling and the profile of the candidate(s) you are seeking. You have to make a fundamental decision as to whether you want to fill the position directly or go through a headhunter or search firm. The Classified Post (classifiedpost.com) is a pretty standard way to go if you want to hire directly. Hudson, Michael Page, Ambition, Robert Walters, Futurestep are large firms that serve a range of industries.

Apple Daily is a widely-read Chinese language newspaper known to be highly sensational, with pretty low editorial standards.

Last edited by c1000; 25-05-2007 at 07:06 PM.

Another option is alumni associations in Hong Kong. My University's alumni association in Hong Kong is actually the largest of their alumni associations overseas so they hold frequent events. Great way to network with a variety of people within different fields, with some looking for jobs.

Another option you could try is your country's chamber of commerce. The Canadian one actually has a variety of similar networking events where you can meet people with a lot of experience. The downside is you have to pay to join the chamber, though it does give you a network and some recognition within the business community associated with that.

Out of curiosity, what does your company do? I'm actually searching for something in Marketing myself at the moment haha.