So I'm moving to HK to be an English teacher.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

So I'm moving to HK to be an English teacher.

Trust me, there's a reason for this.

In my last year of high school, I was directionless. I needed to get away from my country town; so I looked at a globe and found that the farthest points from my hometown were London and Tokyo. Since I already spoke English, I figured I could go to England any time I wanted, so I chose Japan. Discovered the JET Programme, took language courses, went on exchange. As I got ready to graduate, I meet a Chinese girl studying at my university in Canada. We have a fling, she goes to Hong Kong, I go to Japan. End of story, right?

Two years later, we're still together. In April I was introduced to her family in Hangzhou, and they welcomed me as their future son-in-law. So, I decided not to re-contract in Japan, and instead spend my summer taking the Trinity TESOL course in order to enter what seems to be the highly competitive English-teaching job market.

Trouble is, I haven't actually found a job yet. Oh sure, I could skip off to Shenzhen or Guangzhou as they'll hire you (and most likely shaft the hell out of you) as long as you have a pulse - but for obvious reasons I'd much rather be in Hong Kong (free accommodation, for one!).

So, while I realise most people on this forum have actual skills with real companies, any helpful hints or advice for a lowly English teacher?

Have you tried the Hong Kong government's NET scheme? They are hiring people to teach primary and secondary schools. I think their recruitment process and rounds have been finished for the time being, but you can check their websites. The other option though would be searching around online for English schools. If you are of Asian ancestry, you might run into trouble with some English schools as they tend to discriminate against people who don't look "foreign" enough to them even if they possess native English levels of fluency.

I'm white and hairy I was still in limbo as to whether I would study in Hong Kong as a regular student again or just work when the NET scheme applications were open, but I am going to be tendering my application as soon as they re-open for the 2008 school year.

Ah well, I've already found work in a kindergarten. As if I didn't have enough little monsters climbing over me already!

I once went into an interview for a Kindergarten and they asked me to sing something and then after I finished singing my bad jingle they asked me if I also knew how to dance <_<. Indeed an interesting interview experience.

HK does not need anymore english teachers.

CrimsonArrow -Been there, done that. For Primary.

hongkongtong -There is a SHORTAGE of English teachers in Hong Kong.

I find it incredibly hilarious that the kindergarten curriculum in Hong Kong is more involved and comprehensive than the elementary school curriculum (if you can even call it that) in Japan.

I don't dance. I do throw children up in the air and catch them when they encounter gravity, though, if they're light enough.

The NET scheme is always open. You just send in your application and they'll email you whenever they have interviews.

Argh. You're kidding me. I read on their site that the NET application season had closed months ago. I think I sent them an email anyway but never got a reply back. Oh well, after finishing the Trinity course and working at the kindergarten (got a job offer, I'm sure they'll put me through hell though), I can apply for NET after I settle into Hong Kong.

If all goes according to plan.

Check out the SCMP online advertisements

You might want to have a look on the South China Morning Post (SCMP) online classified section for English teachers.

There are loads of private centres here in Hong Kong that will employ experienced English teachers. As HKCHIGGER pointed out, there is a big shortage of teachers, particularly in the New Territories. The wages are usually lower than the NET programme and the package... doesn't usually exist, but you can earn an honest wage/salary ($150-300 per hour based on your experience).

It is a good way to get to HK sooner v. later and earning some money.

Good Luck.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast