Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vmlinuz

Advice on freelance while already employed in HK with work permit

Closed Thread

Advice on freelance while already employed in HK with work permit

I've been living and working in HK with the same company for a few years now, on a work permit of course. I currently have a few local friends who are operating small businesses and asking if I'd be able to help consult on their businesses. While the projects would be small, it would be unfair for both parties if I were to help them for free. It's been suggested that I look into registering a sole proprietorship but I'm just checking to see if any of you might be aware if that is indeed an allowable or proper route to take in order to consult or freelance on small projects while I maintain my current job.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Short answer: no, you cannot legally do this without explicit permission from Immigration. You can ask, but I don't know if there is any body of experience of people asking about this and what responses they've got. If you qualify and you're not in much of a hurry, you could apply for QMAS, which would give you more flexibility, but it's a long slow process...

Football16 likes this.

How far away from Permanent Residence are you? (EDIT - about 4 years I see from your other posts, so I guess that's too long to wait!)

Alternatively, if you are married and your spouse is on a Dependant Visa and employed then consider trying to get them switched to an Employment Visa and you to a Dependant Visa, which would allow you to work freely.