Like Tree4Likes

Summer job for student

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

hahahaha, guys seriously though.

Quote Originally Posted by summerishere:
    hahahaha, guys seriously though.
    Just come to HK and go for a wander, look through the jobs pages of some newspapers/ websites (you can read Chinese, right? So you have an advantage) and see what takes your fancy. If anything get some interview practice. Your native English might be a selling point for a company who want to make calls to English speaking companies for example.

Bear in mind most people in HK are aware that English gcses are a lot easier than hkces (especially science subjects) so don't expect your A*s to dazzle them.. a lot of tri-lingual uni graduates end up in shitty jobs here.

^^ to add to that academic success is not workplace prowess...

I've dealt with my fair share of people incapable of doing a good job. One person couldn't even add numbers in an excel spreadsheet,which they passed to me to review. It was something like (1,5,99,44,910,551) and somehow at the end totalled up to a figure in the millions. I ended up always having to tell them what to do 5 times, write down what to do 5 times etc...only to end up having to do it all myself.

On paper, this person sounded great. Sadly, I don't think an office based job was up their street. I genuinely hope they are doing well though whereever they are.

Summerishere- I would ask your friend's parents if they'll take you on in the office. It may be unpaid. We had a GCSE student younger than you help out last summer. I'd try tutoring English (I did as a 14, 15 year old GCSE student in HK and got paid (to me then) an absolute fortune. It was for one of my mum's friend's kids though), teaching sports (e.g tennis) etc. Do you have an old school in Hong Kong, or a boarding school 'network' you can rely on to ask around for work? I know my old school in HK would sometimes take ex-students on for help. My old boarding school has a great 'network' should you wish to use it, and would actively push students to take internships/unpaid work etc at firms during summer holidays with the help of their 'contacts', particularly if it was useful to future University applications e.g. those applying for medicine, law etc.

You can also always volunteer, I don't think there is a minimum age requirement but there could be.

The final option is to do something worthwhile to add to your CV i.e. a new activity or qualification. Depending on how much your parents are willing to pay, you can do all sorts from learning to fly a place, to learning another language etc. Again, this could be highly unrealistic/unaffordable, but I'm sure if the job front doesn't pan out, your parents would rather you were doing something then just sitting on your behind.