Tefl

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Tefl

Hi, I am a native English speaker from the UK, with a uni degree and would like to come to HK to teach english.

I've been reading some posts about TELF course.
    Some people said they've done the online course and landed a teaching job in HK easily.
    But some said there is more competition for teaching jobs now so they recommand to do TESOL or do it in HK bristish council.
    Wanna ask what's the situation nowadays ?

Also want to ask peoples opinion... if i did an online course before get to HK would i stand i chance to get just a not very well paid teaching job to start? Then i could attend a face to face course once in HK.

EMB may not recognise TEFL done online.

online TEFL course

Hey, I notice that EMB may not recognise TEFL done online, but what about language centres in HK ?

I have read some posts saying that you could get a teaching job in some language centres in HK if you have a TEFL cert, even it's a online one. Is it correct ?

The bare basic requirement seems to be a university degree of any sort from my understanding. I know people who have no formal 2nd language training such as TEFL, TESOL, etc. and are teaching English to all levels in all places such as language centres, nursery, kindergarten, primary and secodary schools.

I even know of a two cases of where the teacher has a university degree and is not a Native English speaker but meets the "ideal" vision of what the employer believes a Native English speaker looks like and is teaching Oral English in Hong Kong at what I perceive as a very good salary of HK$30k per month.

Quote Originally Posted by Timboo:
    Hey, I notice that EMB may not recognise TEFL done online, but what about language centres in HK ?

I have read some posts saying that you could get a teaching job in some language centres in HK if you have a TEFL cert, even it's a online one. Is it correct ?
    Some language centres will employ you without a degree, any teaching experience or any sort of TEFL, if you are from England, US or Oz etc. Although I wouldn't recommend actually working for one of these centres.

Any reputable language centre will insist on the absolute minimum of a 1 month TEFL/TESOL certificate with 120 hours and at least 8 hours teaching practise.

From what I understand the EMB do employ teachers without a TEFL certificate, but you must complete it within a timescale, once you are working.

Thx for advice

Thx for the advice, I think I am going to take the one month TEFL course.

what is EMB?

Education and Manpower Bureau AKA the Government's Education and Work department

Hi, I am looking into moving to HK to teach English, It seems to be a bit of a mind field though! I understand that the Cambridge or Trinity based qualifictions are best but these can be very expensive and time consuming. The other route is too do a short weekend course of an online one. Am I correct?
    Does any one have any advice on the reliabilty of one of these courses to getting a job? And how difficult is it to get a visa?

Quote Originally Posted by bruz:
    Hi, I am looking into moving to HK to teach English, It seems to be a bit of a mind field though! I understand that the Cambridge or Trinity based qualifictions are best but these can be very expensive and time consuming. The other route is too do a short weekend course of an online one. Am I correct?
    Does any one have any advice on the reliabilty of one of these courses to getting a job? And how difficult is it to get a visa?
    I'm not sure you're really cut out to be an English teacher if you think teaching English in HK is a "mind field" rather than a "minefield".

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast