Like Tree45Likes

Justifying high salary to lower paid local colleagues..

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Freetrader... he's an English teacher and his English is to a native level. This is the differential you're looking for.
    Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Therefore, there is no need to justify anything. If his local colleagues (and I've heard about some of the local English teachers - yuck) were as skilled, our friend Bryant would be gone.

So, Bryant, nothing to worry about or justify. You should probably ask yourself instead why your employer treats the locals so badly.

I don't think you got the meaning of my question..

Ok maybe there is no need to justify it but, if the question/ topic arises, I'd prefer to focus on the reasons my cost of living is more expensive (including basic needs such as visiting my family) rather than say "I'm better than you, get over it."

I always find proof-reading their writing now and then helps to subtly nudge them towards the latter conclusion, though, especially if (when) you find loads of mistakes. My co-teachers frequently ask me about pronunciation, grammar, etc.

I have to admit I'm not as hot as some of them at explaining the intricacies of grammar! Sometimes it's "just right"!

You also need to look at it from another angle. Bryant has something probably more intangable and that is a marketable face. His face is a product that draws people in. We have also seen these teachers as pin up boys/girls that draw in the dollars. I think it's quite funny.

Bryant may have this ability to earn more for the company. Skill or no skill he is still worth more than his colleagues.

I don't know but it could be the case. It could not also.

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    If his local colleagues were as skilled, our friend Bryant would be gone.
    Not strictly true... from a school's point of view, hiring a foreigner is often as much about image and reputation as it is about quality of teacher.

Photos of me are plastered round my primary school's walls and on the front of leaflets etc... that's not because of my teaching skills but more about the colour of my skin (and my devilishly good looks of course )

Edit: wow Virago and I are both saying similar things and it doesn't even involve talking about luckycat.
    Last edited by justjoe86; 07-07-2011 at 11:27 PM.

Example of how sellable a foreign face is for a teaching company... when I first arrived in HK I went to mongkok for an interview in a language centre as a fresh graduate with no experience or qualifications beyond a degree.

I explained I couldn't start for over a month because I was going to Beijing to do my celta teaching cert. They said there's no need for it, and that I could start tomorrow. They also asked if I could travel to China to do some promotion work, all expenses paid plus salary.

I had to explain I had no intention of teaching without any qualification or experience (or any idea whatsoever!) I also had to remind them that I needed sponsoring for a working visa and wouldn't be working before I got it.

If I was Chinese who thinks it would've been this easy? admittedly that was a dodgy company but they were just a bit more forward than most, the same principle holds.

People rarely get paid what they are worth, they get paid as the market dictates. Supply and demand just like the price of flats... It really doesn't matter what the "true" or "fair" value is...The only people that question that are usually the ones with a chip on their shoulder so it's a subject best avoided except perhaps with close friends. There was a thread about an article in the paper about a local Cathay engineer( I think) complaining about it...

Best to work hard, keep your mouth shut about it, be friendly to the majority who don't care and ignore the sourpusses... There are always people in life that seem to only find purpose in negativity and criticism...A couple of posters on this board immediately spring to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    People rarely get paid what they are worth, they get paid as the market dictates. Supply and demand just like the price of flats... It really doesn't matter what the "true" or "fair" value is...The only people that question that are usually the ones with a chip on their shoulder so it's a subject best avoided except perhaps with close friends. There was a thread about an article in the paper about a local Cathay engineer( I think) complaining about it...

Best to work hard, keep your mouth shut about it, be friendly to the majority who don't care and ignore the sourpusses... There are always people in life that seem to only find purpose in negativity and criticism...A couple of posters on this board immediately spring to mind.
    Yes. Well I certainly never complain to my colleagues at school about working too hard! I also give my colleagues half price at my centre for their family and 3 of them send their kids to me. I suppose I was curious if it had ever come up in a work place for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Not strictly true... from a school's point of view, hiring a foreigner is often as much about image and reputation as it is about quality of teacher.

Photos of me are plastered round my primary school's walls and on the front of leaflets etc... that's not because of my teaching skills but more about the colour of my skin (and my devilishly good looks of course )

Edit: wow Virago and I are both saying similar things and it doesn't even involve talking about luckycat.
    So...you are saying that employers are irrational and racist? Um, OK. Yes, that would be hard to justify. If that is the case, I can't help you...

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    So...you are saying that employers are irrational and racist? Um, OK. Yes, that would be hard to justify. If that is the case, I can't help you...
    It's not irrational or racist. They simply make more money when they employ foreigners, so they employ them.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast