Like Tree1Likes

Part Time English Jobs, Hard To Find?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Part Time English Jobs, Hard To Find?

Do you know if it is easy or hard to find related part time work related to English (e.g. tutoring, teaching)?

If relevant, I speak Cantonese/English/Mandarin all fluently. And, if relevant, I'm Asian.

I have HK citizenship (so called) so no visa sponsorship required.

I'm asking mainly to see whether this would be a viable source of supplementary income (and plus I kind of like teaching and tutoring too).

My understanding is no, this isn't particularly easy to find as many people speak English?

Last edited by newarriver; 14-07-2011 at 12:59 PM.

An alternative would be to teach Cantonese/Mandarin?

Are you good looking and confident?

luckycat likes this.

A further consideration which is over-looked 99% of the time is registering your activity for tax purposes. Not needing a visa doesn't mean you can just go out and start earning unreported money.

Plenty of ads for tutors around, so I guess there's a market, however being Asian you might find it harder to command the same hourly rate as more typically western-looking tutors.

Lots of opportunities for private English tutors, but generally it takes time to build your client base up, usually through referrals, so for the first few months at least it would be hard to survive on what you earn. Maybe start by working through a language centre.

Lots of ads on jobs DB for english teachers (PT). If you want to tutor privately ask anyone in your work/family if they know anyone looking and build up your reputation. I know folks who teach to their friend's and colleague's children and they are mostly HK born with fluent English. Some families like it in fact. Schools and Kindies do seem to learn towards westerners but again, this is not 100% true.

Getting a job in a school/language centre normally requires a TEFL and a degree. Again, this is not 100% but those places are usually a bit dodgy...depends what you want

Agree with the other posts. I think its not too hard to find English teaching posts in HK, but since you also spk Canto/Mand. then I think you have the best of both worlds because you can teach the locals English and those wishing to learn the local &or chinese language too. You could charge a premium Plus you have the added advantage of not needing sponsorship so could start asap!

Good luck!

I think it will help if you have a cert to prove your English fluency. If you have this, it may also be wise to do a 1 month teaching course. I did the celta and it cost me about 14k hkd if I remember correctly. Hard work but fun.

If you're only looking to work part time though, you might not wish to invest time or money for these bits of paper, in which case I think you should be ready to accept a lowish hourly rate and hope for the best.

I love Virago. Straight to the point.

Q1. Are you hot?

A1. Yes. ----------> Q. Wanna shag?
    A2. No. ----------> Q. Wanna shag?

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    I love Virago. Straight to the point.

Q1. Are you hot?

A1. Yes. ----------> Q. Wanna shag?
    A2. No. ----------> Q. Wanna shag?
    You make me sound like some soaring eagle preying on fluffy little rabbits. This is far from the truth.

My comment was if the OP was good looking and confident she could get a great gig as a pinup poster Educator in a private school.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast