swiss person looking for a job in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

swiss person looking for a job in HK

hi guys,

I work in HK and I have a friend from home who would like to join me here.
    I have a sponsored visa by my employer (a bank) but this post is related to my friend.

In Switzerland he is a house painter, he speaks italian - french - english, he would like to come here for a couple of years to make an experience (not for the money - he definitely makes more money there ;-) ).

Do you guys think he has any opportunity to find some work ??? any kind ??? he doesn't need big money, just a regular job that would allow him to survive.....

thanks for any input you may have.

He maybe be able to find work (I had a gweilo redo plaster / paint in my sleeping room a few years ago, through a friend of a a friend), but I doubt he'd be able to convince the immigration department that there is a shortage of painters in Hong Kong or that he adds any benefit to the city if he would work here, even if he would be able to find a sponsoring company.

If you are male then he's got a problem (he won't get a visa). If you are female then you can just quietly get married and get him a Dependent Visa - then he can work freely as a freelance or whatever. I suspect there's a market for expat house painters amongst expats who don't trust the locals.

hi guys, thanks so much for your replies.

Yes, it's a male friend (but just friends!).
    He has both italian and swiss passport. I was thinking maybe in italian restaurants ? would he have a chance ? anywhere particular where italian language may be a plus which would get him a visa ?

he has a diversified experience as he was also working for a bar for a couple of years in belgium as well so either bars or hotels may need somebody with some language skills ??

Hey there, the same thing is happening to my bf as well. He is swiss italian and can speak good English plus he is looking for a job here right now.

Would be great if you can keep us up to date so we can exchange info as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cantopippo:

He has both italian and swiss passport. I was thinking maybe in italian restaurants ? would he have a chance ? anywhere particular where italian language may be a plus which would get him a visa ?

he has a diversified experience as he was also working for a bar for a couple of years in belgium as well so either bars or hotels may need somebody with some language skills ??
    Has your friend been to HK before? If not, he may or may not like HK (i means the pace, living style/environment/culture etc) and it would be best for him to come over to have a taste of it before he makes a move to HK.

Quote Originally Posted by cantopippo:

Unless he is an experienced chef there is no chance at all for him to get an Employment Visa working in a restaurant or bar. And no chance in the hotel trade unless with experience and for a management position (and normally on an internal transfer).

Maybe he can try and teach Italian or French. Definitely not competing with many locals for jobs there.

But again, with no teaching qualifications and no experience he won't get a visa.

He should contact the Swiss german school and see if they recruit Teaching Assistants there.
    http://www.gsis.edu.hk/ . But the school will not sponsor him for a TA job. He needs a depedent visa at least.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast