help finding new job path

Closed Thread

help finding new job path

Any of you IT folks out there hiring a pair of extra hands? I know Im suppose to be looking at jobsdb, carreer times, but Im a bit turned off by some of their requirements. Its kind of hard explaining to them why I am not a fresh grad but looking for an entry role.

A bit about myself:

I am 32 years old and have spent the last 4 years working with a sub-contractor of PCCW as thier Sr. Field Technician + Coordinator. I feel I have wasted 4 years of my life and strayed from my path of what use to be System Admin, I enjoy working in-house and troubleshooting user problems, maintaining servers and helping the company keeping up to date with their systems.

Previously prior to my 4 years employment working with PCCW's subcontractor, I worked mainly as project coordinator, NT Administrator, Tech Support roles for about 5 years total.

I recently came back from China after taking some crash course in Mandarin and I am a bit outdated as far as current server/workstation technology goes.

I am looking for a role preferably in a decent reputable company that will allow me to learn more about current server/workstation technology, Windows Server, SQL, etc..

I'll be blunt and say this, I am not looking for a huge salary and I dont mind working for cheap so long as I am getting something out of it in the long run.

Im looking to network back into what I use to enjoy doing.

I hope this does'nt go against some EULA on this forum or something

Thanks Advance, Please PM me if you want me to foward a copy of my resume to you.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomebody:
    I'll be blunt and say this, I am not looking for a huge salary and I dont mind working for cheap so long as I am getting something out of it in the long run.
    Sorry, now i am being blunt. But if i am a HR who has to decide abt hiring you, then after your this statement i will change my mind bcoz if you are joining it to gain knowledge on a cheaper salary then you will leave for a higher salary after gaining knowledge.

So dude, in job offere negatiable, try not to be the first one to open your cards.

I agree with funnie. That phrase kills your pitch. It is something that you really should not say, at least not in that way, to a hiring manager. Focus on the fact that you want to get back into doing what you enjoy - it will get you further. Salary shouldn't come up at an early stage in the interview process anyway.

Last edited by hello_there; 08-06-2007 at 04:30 PM.

yea, you're right... I wont be saying I just want a job so I can learn and then leave for a better paying job during a interview, although that is to be expected if the person that is hiring someone for so cheap...

Maybe after probation or a year, if one feel that an employee has become an asset to the company, give him/her what they are worth so they wont leave..

Last edited by justsomebody; 08-06-2007 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomebody:
    Maybe after probation or a year, if one feel that an employee has become an asset to the company, give him/her what they are worth so they wont leave..
    For ex: The market rental rate for a house is 10k but the house owner is asking you 5k bcoz he needs a tenant urgently. Would you still insist to pay him 10k.

Also, if after 6 month, house owner gets a new customer who is ready to pay 15k. should he asked tenant to raise the rent or ask him to leave the house.

Consider yourself as houseowner and company as tenant and job as house.

Today, you dont have a job so want company to take you at any cost but once you brought the time, you want your own ways. Noone will hire such candidate.

I suggest you to change your approach for job hunt. When a company takes a permanent employee on board, they take a long term position. For short term, they can outsource the work or hire a contractor.

PM me and send me your CV - I'll see if we have any suitable roles in our IT department.

I am assuming you don't really have any development experience ?

I dont know what part of the world you are from where everyone has so much honor and does things from such a logical perspective, but in hong kong, I assure you... There are plenty of people that loves to hire fresh grads + people willing to work for peanuts... It makes no sense but in thier eyes, hiring a expierienced admin cost 18-21k while they can hire 3 un-expierienced for 6k a peice is a better choice...

Im not trying to argue with you since your point is valid, there are people that are willing to work for peanuts and want expierience then will move on, this is expected from the HR/Manager and will always continue, chinese saying "ride a cow while looking for horse"..... as I said I was just being blunt and did'nt want to offend anyone after them helping me, nobody to blame after 6 months-year when I resign because I found something better... If I wanted to take the "I want knowledge and will have loyalty to a company approach "cough" Lie ...".. I would have taken the long "jobsdb/carreertimes, interview, request 20k salary, interview, etc..."

This was a fast approach which I expect results within a week or two..