Interview coming up need help!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Interview coming up need help!

I've been referrered to a job through a friend and will be going for an interview next week.Might have screwed it up already as the HR asked me what I was looking for in a salary when she called! Where I work now is smart casual so no one really wears suit/skirt or anything close and if I do wear one they will know i am going for an interview which I would like to avoid. What would be approprite for the interview in this case?

Also would appreciate if anyone can tell me what papers I might need to take along if any to show during the interview? It's been a quite a while since I have been to any job interview so any help/suggestion would be great!

Thanks!

Try to avoid giving them a solid number in terms of salary. They do this so that they either 1) know you want too much or 2) they managed to say a number that is lower than the market rates and you've just capped yourself.

As for the clothes, is it possible for you to stealth change? Get a short sleeve shirt which looks like a dress shirt. Put your suit and tie in a bag. Put on the tie and the suit in some washroom when you are on the way there.

As for papers - HR personnel in HK traditionally ask to see all degree and certifications, plus letters from previous employers for proof of employment.

Now, I have always showed up and presented on the first interview the names and contact information of my professional references (about 4 people) on a nice printed sheet of paper. Also I have showed my degrees and certifications during the second interview.

During the interview stages do not give a salary expectations or state previous salaries as once you do you have capped your salary. Do not talk salary until you have been made an offer of employment and still let the company state first the salary and benefitsbest if they state it in a written contract before you start negiotating.

Good Luck on your interview.

Last edited by Alby; 10-06-2007 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling

CrimsonArrow and Alby ..thanks for your replies.

As for salary they mentioned first and what they were offering was more than what I was expecting

Bring an updated resume - or several. You should give a copy to each interviewer. And wear a suit. Except in very limited circumstances, it is inappropriate to not wear a suit for an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Alby:
    During the interview stages do not give a salary expectations or state previous salaries as once you do you have capped your salary. Do not talk salary until you have been made an offer of employment and still let the company state first the salary and benefitsbest if they state it in a written contract before you start negiotating.
    delicate issue here, in most cases ive experienced you're asked to fill out a previous salary and expected salary. I've tried ignoring it (not filling it in) but I was returned the form and was told to fill it in later which I did. any advice as to how to tackle this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by sp1key:
    delicate issue here, in most cases ive experienced you're asked to fill out a previous salary and expected salary. I've tried ignoring it (not filling it in) but I was returned the form and was told to fill it in later which I did. any advice as to how to tackle this issue?
    If you are filling out some sort of application paper that has questions and answers on it, for salary, etc. its probably not the type of job where you have a lot of bargaining power for salary. Just tell them what you want and be done with it.

jellybean
    Great! but even if the salary was higher than what you expected there is more to be negiotated. Salary is only one aspect as you could very well be space for negiotation:

- of number of paid vacation leave
    - 13 month salary
    - performance pay quarterly, annually
    - public company or pending ipo = stock options
    - anguage lessons Chinese or other that are relevant to your work

If you are an expat you can
    - full cost or shared housing cost
    - full cost or shared cost of plane ticket home
    - full or shared cost to have a relative come and visit you in Hong Kong

Sp1key
    Yes, the company will push and push for applicants/canidates to fill in the form. Afterall it is a weeding out process. I suggest when asked for your expected salary write and/or say "open" and/or "negiotable" and/or simply state "I believe that I am the right canidiate for this position and would like to manage your expecatations based on what you expect from me on the job and not based on salary expactations" or something to that effect.

hello_there
    There are many middle and senior level positions which the HR dept. ask all canidiates to fill out an application form. As filling out the application is just part of the procedures that they have instituted by many companies. Several which don't differentiate from the mail room employees to the senior directors. Afterall it is all part of the organizations culture and procedure.

I be interested to here from some geoexpat members working in HR on this as well.
    Last edited by Alby; 11-06-2007 at 07:51 PM.

Thanks again all for the interesting feedbacks!

I was not prepared for 2 or 3 questions but I made my way to 2nd interview! It was really gruelling and long.Did not have to show them any papers though. Will wait for next round before I ask regarding salary, benefits etc.
    I have been working as a local though not a Chinese so not looking to get an expat package but the salary they are offering for this is way more than what I am making now which is a blessing in it self.
    I did wear a skirt and jacket. The people were dressed quite casually there! Do I need to wear suit again, its sooo hot?!

Any more tips will defintiely be appreciated!

Congrats. Yes, wear a suit again. It is always appropriate in an interview setting and shows that you care about the position enough to put some effort into your presentation/ appearance.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast