Like Tree43Likes

Have other Medical Doctors from US or Canada been rejected to sit the HK licencing exam?!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Can you ask for a face to face to meeting the Secretariat to present your case?

Did you fill out the application form correctly as it clearly says in their policy statement you must have 5 years training?

Other avenues:

1. Go to Invest HK and tell them you want to set up a medical practice in HK and ask for their assistance. As they are quasi-gov't if I have heard their presentations correctly they can even call Immigration for example on a person's behalf just to make an inquiry. These guys are here to bring in new business and talent. Not sure if the medical side of it though but give it a shot.

2. You could go to a lawyer (depends on your $$$) and seek legal advice although based on their rules and the authority they have it might be hard to get them to be fearful and give you a second look. I'd be very cautious giving them any threatening letters if the law firm you went to really does not know administrative law in HK or had any experience.

The rule setting bodies if they follow their rules likely can't be argued with.

It strikes me from looking at the rules they are as clearly written as I have ever seen in HK and there are some very odd rules from gov't entities that defy any logic at times.

It seems that you should be able to present evidence that suggests you meet the criteria including the 12 month internship.

3. Lay out your program column by column vs HK U.
    One way to do this is spend some laying out a comparison between your training and the HK Universities and do it course by course showing that you have done all that they have done including the 12 months internship.

I think the medical qualifications letter is a good first step however.

You can't be the first Canadian trained doctor coming to HK for the first time or returning home.

Last edited by Football16; 28-07-2011 at 04:12 PM.
    shuttler and packy_crusher like this.

Hey All,

I may have found a loophole!

While researching info for my appeal, I found out that even though the HK MBBS degree is 5 yrs, it is only 10 semesters.

My 4 year degree includes summer semesters for a grand total of 12 semesters!

12 should beat 10, right?

packy_crusher and dear giant like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shuttler:
    Hey All,

I may have found a loophole!

While researching info for my appeal, I found out that even though the HK MBBS degree is 5 yrs, it is only 10 semesters.

My 4 year degree includes summer semesters for a grand total of 12 semesters!

12 should beat 10, right?
    Yes that could well work. Are their credit points awarded? If you can show it is equal in terms of credits then you should be good. Otherwise hours or weeks of study being comparable could be enough. Another approach (though I am not sure how this works for medical courses) would be to approach the HKCAAVQ in Quarry Bay. For a fee they will look at your overseas qualification(s) and say if they are comparable to the HK equivalent. Some of our students have done this (non-medical) and they have been given a letter to confirm equivalence.

Just don't give up...I am guessing that their requirements are put in place to protect the domestic market only and ALSO to prevent mainland doctors from getting licenses in Hong Kong. After all, in the mainland, even Chinese medicine doctors can perform surgery. Although not a doctor, just stick with it, appeal every avenue their is to appeal and eventually it will work out. Let me know when you set up your practice, i would like to be your first patient. Good luck!!

shuttler and dear giant like this.

Shuttler

There is an interesting 'press release' online written by the HKMA which is opposed to hiring overseas doctors to fulfil the lack of doctors in the Hospital Authority.

They seem to be panicking at the very thought of any doctor being hired who has NOT first passed the licensing exam.

There is nil specific in the article about the origin of these possible recruits. So it seems they wish to do a 'blanket ban' , which seems to me, rather inappropriate.
    Recruitment of overseas doctors via limited registration (Press Release)

In your case, however, you WANT to take the exam and have been refused.

Its all very laudable saying they want to uphold standards, but where is the logic in refusing jobs to UK/Canadian /American/Australian docs who arrive here?

I still suspect that there is a worry that they will take their business and professional jealousy exists. It is not just worry that mainland docs will arrive in droves. Its anyone.

The only docs they wish to come to Hong Kong from abroad, to work, are the Hong Kong Chinese who currently live abroad, I suspect.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Louiseamanda:
    Its all very laudable saying they want to uphold standards, but where is the logic in refusing jobs to UK/Canadian /American/Australian docs who arrive here?
    So in your logic system it is axiomatic that anything coming from the UK/Canada/America or Australia is inherently at least as good as the equivalent from Hong Kong?

Yes and various other countries too. Please bear in mind that we have to produce a certificate of good standing and documentary evidence dating back to medical school.

dear giant and shuttler like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Louiseamanda:
    Yes and various other countries too.
    Then I suggest you look elsewhere - that sort of colonial attitude doesn't really go down too well these days.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Then I suggest you look elsewhere - that sort of colonial attitude doesn't really go down too well these days.
    PDLM
    it is not a 'colonial attitude'.

I am talking about Western medical training, nothing more.
    The countries I mention (and there are others) have training comparable. (this includes academic training + exposure to cases in clinical years)

It also applies to nurses and physios aswell, not just doctors.

In terms of 'protecting jobs' this happens to working docs too.
    A Western anaesthetist (long term in HK) notices that the Chinese colleagues refer cases between them. She works privately but gets less of the referrals because she is not 'in the club' so to speak. Her comments,not mine.

Hong Kong knows it has a problem, there have been many articles recently in SCMP inpast few days.

Whereas a Chinese anaesthetist in the UK or the US would face none of these problems - right?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast