Working Holiday Job

Closed Thread

Working Holiday Job

Hi!

Basically I'm planning on spending a month in Hong Kong toward the end of the year and figure that perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to work at the same time, give me something extra to do and earn a little money for my holiday. I'm an Australian citizen so I'm planning on applying for a working holiday visa. Just wanted to know if there were any jobs out there I would be able to get, especially since I'm only fluent in English, know just the absolute basics in conversational Mandarin and unfortunately wouldn't understand a word of Cantonese. I'm currently in second year university studying commercial law and psychology (if that's of any relevance at all), and have been working part time since I was fifteen. Happy to work in anywhere really, especially if there's friendly staff and a bubbly atmosphere!

Also most likely will have two other friends with me there who would be interested in working too. One's in the same boat as me (only English speaking Aussie citizen), the other is a Hong Kong citizen who can speak both Cantonese and Mandarin.

So if anyone has any ideas as to work I could apply for or are interested in finding out more about me or (even better) would be willing to extend a job offer I'd be more than happy to hear from you!

you are going to the time and expense of a working holiday visa in order to be here for a month? i'm afraid you are unlikely to find anything for such a short period of time.

a working holiday visa allows you to stay in hk for a year and work, but you are limited to 3 months/employer....

sorry i'm not quite sure i understand your first question... since i'm looking into this almost 5 months ahead of time i do believe i would have enough time to process a working holiday visa should i be able to find a position. and yes i do have the funds to pay for my trip. having a job wouldn't be completely necessary but certainly would add to my experience in hong kong. i totally understand a month is probably a pretty short time to hire someone hence why i'm looking into my options now to see if there are any casual jobs or the like that i could consider taking up. otherwise i'll probably just shorten my trip to just be a holiday rather than work and holiday.

i wouldn't hold my breath looking for a 1 month job.... as for not understanding my first question... why would you go to the time and expense of getting a working holiday visa if you are only going to be here for a month?

there are a limited number of these to go around, and it seems that if you are only planning a short trip, i'd just enjoy it as a holiday rather than try to find something for such a short length of time.