Question about jobs

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question about jobs

Hey Everyone

So, recently I've received a really good job offer that I ended up taking here in the US (connecticut) at the Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks, Ct.

I'll be working for the department of homeland security -- transportation security administration, as a transportation security officer.

Now, does anyone know if in HK that this occupation exists? Well I Know that it does, but how does one get involved with the HK dept of transportation security? Does anyone know the pay? Or if I'd be able to transfer to HK within a few years?? It's a really good job here with full benefits but as you all know, I'm longing to be back in Hong Kong.

Anyone who might have any source of info on this, please let me know!

I'd appreciate it a lot!

Thank you

Tiffany

Not a job you will be able to do in HK, probably ever. Plenty of Hong Kongers are qualified to work in airline security so non-locals will not even be considered for the posts.

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there:
    Not a job you will be able to do in HK, probably ever. Plenty of Hong Kongers are qualified to work in airline security so non-locals will not even be considered for the posts.

I have to agree with that. Non-Locals probably don't stand too good of a chance for that position. How's your Cantonese?

Also, as you are working for the department of homeland security, I assume you're a U.S. citizen. If a similar job in Hong Kong is a government job, you technically would be working for the government of China (not sure what implication that would have on your US citizenship).

Many Hong Kong Ghurka's, their kids or grand kids tend to do this job if the have ROA or local mainstream Chinese Permanent Residents.

You may be able to get something working as a consultant with MNC on security risk and issues but not easy to come by either.

does it help that i used to live in HK for 10 yrs.. and can easily get my ID back again.. both parents live in HK now. And.... I speak Mandarin fluently and canto not as fluent anymore but I can easily get it back as I used to be fluent.... Mom's chinese.. dad's irish/native american.

I sure would love to get to do this in HK.. bah

Quote Originally Posted by Alby:
    You may be able to get something working as a consultant with MNC on security risk and issues but not easy to come by either.
    Working for US TSA would not qualify you for this, unless you went back to school, got a graduate degree in IR, global security issues, etc., and spent some time in the military (or maybe special police). Otherwise, don't hold your breath for this type of job. Very few people are qualified.

AVSECO is currently responsible for most of the airport security in HK, along with the HK police department, a couple other government organizations. http://www.avseco.com.hk.

My understanding is that non-citizens don't stand a chance getting a job performing airport security ops, but you might be able to find some sort of support position within AVSECO or something.

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there:
    Working for US TSA would not qualify you for this, unless you went back to school, got a graduate degree in IR, global security issues, etc., and spent some time in the military (or maybe special police). Otherwise, don't hold your breath for this type of job. Very few people are qualified.

AVSECO is currently responsible for most of the airport security in HK, along with the HK police department, a couple other government organizations. http://www.avseco.com.hk.

My understanding is that non-citizens don't stand a chance getting a job performing airport security ops, but you might be able to find some sort of support position within AVSECO or something.
    All of the security detail and consultancy work performed by non Chinese citizens that I have seen/met, have been British previously ex military / HK CID ( police ).
    Most of the FBO direct and indirect staff administrating security/maintenance and operation are either British or Australian. Well from my observations in corporate aviation at the HKBAC, they all have been. Never seen an American in any ground based capacity to date, excluding pilots of course, which Americans have more corporate flight experience on the specific aircraft that are generally chartered here, like Gulfstream GIV-SP, Falcon 2000, experience etc.

As to why, who knows, maybe send your CV to Young Brothers who are a key recruiting/training/operations company within the Hong Kong aviation industry.

Or try a US based corporate FBO company that has a branches in Asia, you may get your foot in the door that way, but on an insurance risk assesment point of view, your experience level will be the thing they focus on most.

hello_there

never specified what type or level of consultant position.

Anything is possible ....

so i emailed the guy in charge of recruiting all the people for the airport related security.. told him the situation that i was considering and hoping to land a job in the future after I get experience.. and he said that they have positions available and want me to send them my CV and are interested in me! how absurd is that !! i'm pumped

only thing is.. i know i'm not qualified at this very moment as i'm starting that job on the 25th.. but a few yrs down the road like 2 or so , I should be golden =)

Thats great news, I admire you initiative and ambition.

Well done !

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast