Is the Classified Post Salary Index 2011 accurate?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is the Classified Post Salary Index 2011 accurate?

Hi, Just wanted to know your thoughts on this pdf: http://www.classifiedpost.com/pdf/Cl...Index_2011.pdf

In particular, Advertising & Communications (omitting the + as anything can be explained away with a salary+ figure):
    - Account executive 1 year exp $8,500
    - Account Manager 5+ year exp $18,300
    - Associate account director 6+ year exp $35,000 - $50,000

If anyone has any questions regarding their industry feel free to chime in and maybe the more experienced members of the forum can help us new expats out who have no idea of the going rate in Hong Kong

Thanks!

I don't know about your industry but the figures look ok to high for the ones I do know about.

You can see from the sources below each table that it's mainly a copy and paste job of 'things they've found on the internet' rather than anything that is the product of any coherent or independent research (much like the newspaper itself).

So there's no reason to think that there should be any consistency (high, low or whatever) across the different industries, it depends entirely on the rationale of the particular study they've 'borrowed' the info from. You'll have to google the organisation that is the source of the info and find the original report to find out the methodology etc. The education sector section, for example, looks like a straight copy and paste of the Education Department pay scales, so entirely accurate if you work for Education Department but taking no account of the private sector, international schools etc.

Last edited by dipper; 02-08-2011 at 09:15 AM.

As someone who is involved in this industry, I think the lower/mid level salary look significantly lower then the norm; although frankly I don't know what the local firms pay.

For the advertising sector, here is the link to the original report from Hudson: http://hk.hudson.com/documents/Hudso...nformation.pdf

At the bottom of the document they have a thorough description of the methodology used to compile the information, I quote it here in it's entirety for completeness:

'Methodology: This salary information was compiled using the market knowledge of our experienced practice leaders in each industry sector.'

So basically some bloke who works in a recruitment company made it up.

P.S. I've definitely been reading too much Ben Goldacre recently.

>Analyst programmer – VB, ASP, WEB 0-2yrs exp $20,000 to $30,000

Well, that is definitely on the high side and a high probable from I-bank/finance sector. You will be lucky to get 20K from any local firms as an AP with 0 experience.

Gee, I'm not sure if I want this to be right or wrong for my field.

Analyst programmer – VB, ASP, WEB 0-2 $20,000 to $30,000
    Web graphic design/developer 0-3 $20,000 to $29,100

Mix of these 2 and currently going at $16,000 as a local hire.

The source for the IT figures is here, it's also from a recruitment company:

http://www.robertwalters.com.hk/file...urvey-2011.pdf

The methodology is not included in the Hong Kong report but is in the main global report:

"Compiled by our dedicated research division the Survey is based on the analysis of permanent, interim and contract placements made across each of the Group's geographies and recruitment disciplines during 2010."

So basically they surveyed themselves.

I would take salary information compiled soley via recruitment agencies with a pinch of salt. The sample size is biased from the start, as many smaller and worse-paid firms simply do not recruit through agencies in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyZ:
    I would take salary information compiled solely via recruitment agencies with a pinch of salt. The sample size is biased from the start, as many smaller and worse-paid firms simply do not recruit through agencies in the first place.
    Indeed. The problem with the SCMP Index is that by describing itself as a salary index it suggests that it is some kind of comprehensive objective survey of salaries in Hong Kong that will give some meaningful guide to salary levels, wheras in fact if you follow the sources it is actually a cobbled together bunch of random nonsense sourced mostly from what are, in effect, recruitment company press releases. Such is the sorry state of what passes for journalism in the modern world.

(Although, to be fair, they do at least put the sources there, which is something I suppose)
    Last edited by dipper; 02-08-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast