meeting with recruitment consultant

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LiXu:
    I was a recruitment agent for robert half international. We always met people before we sent applications over as people can look great on paper and on the phone but absolute tards in reality. We needed to know they would perform at interview and make us commision! (thats the whole point of being an agent!)

If an agent likes you, you'll get a good job with them as they know they can make money out of you.
    Don't think I could have said this more bluntly myself!

It is standard practice in our company to phone screen every potentially good candidate, and if qualified, to meet with them in person.

Not only does this allow us to go "beyond the resume," and make sure that a candidate is presentable to our clients - our clients expect it as well. As a high-level recruitment firm working with the top-tier Investment Banks, it's an integral part of our due diligence process and allows us to do our jobs properly and service our clients effectively.

So when your recruiter wants to meet with you, I recommend that you go meet with them as though it were an interview and do your best to impress. The strong impression that you leave may give your recruiter added ammunition and the extra confidence to market you even more proactively to their clients.

I'm guessing recruitment in hongkong is pretty much the same as in England and the US? I loved the job and commission was great, but I just hated cold calling. If there was no cold calling involved I'd to get back into recruitment. plus over here my cantonese is terrible so i would be really poor at it!

so any firms out there that needs a bitchy and intelligent agent?

Lightbulb

I'm working in an executive search/headhunting firm myself.

And it's standard practice to assess potential candidates face-to-face before sending them to clients. In fact for some of our Global Fortune 500 clients, these are terms that are required based on SLA agreements signed. If a candidate refused to meet, it could also be an indication that he/she is not serious about moving and it could also be a complete waste of time on our part. So be assured that when recruiters/headhunters ask to meet you in person, there's usually nothing fishy going on.

However we usually do a prescreening and phone interview before asking for a F2F interview.

If you are looking for opportunites in Asia, have a look at my company website www.JCGsearch.com and perhaps I could even help you in the next phase of your career advancement.

hmm.. well, i haven't met a HH that stick so highly to their principal that they refuse to put up my CV because I did not meet up with them.

in fact, so many of them runs from Australia and UK and its just not possible for them to meet up with candidates.

anyway, face it, employers don't care a damn what the HH says about the candidate. the HHs are going to tell the employer all the good points and none of the bad points anyway, so why wld the employer trust what is said..

most of the time its just about the profile fitting or not fitting the employer's requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    hmm.. well, i haven't met a HH that stick so highly to their principal that they refuse to put up my CV because I did not meet up with them.

in fact, so many of them runs from Australia and UK and its just not possible for them to meet up with candidates.

anyway, face it, employers don't care a damn what the HH says about the candidate. the HHs are going to tell the employer all the good points and none of the bad points anyway, so why wld the employer trust what is said..

most of the time its just about the profile fitting or not fitting the employer's requirement.
    Agreed 99% the 01% is for the one employer in a million who is foolish enough to be manpulated by a recruitment consultant!! haha!

God I'm so glad I'm not in recruitment any more!

and for such a foolish boss, i wld be more than glad missing the oppt to work for him/her

Isnt it pretty much a recruiters job to meet you face to face on behalf of their client?? They need and are paid to act as a filter correct? (similar to outsourced HR dept). I think it's quite reasonable... also, per others on here, MANY people look great on paper but their energy / personality sucked in person... ie. if a guy is applying for a sales job, it's important to get a feel of the guys personality/aggressiveness etc... I think recruiters who don't meet are just lazy and doing sloppy work...

Quote Originally Posted by goleoboy:
    Isnt it pretty much a recruiters job to meet you face to face on behalf of their client?? They need and are paid to act as a filter correct? (similar to outsourced HR dept). I think it's quite reasonable... also, per others on here, MANY people look great on paper but their energy / personality sucked in person... ie. if a guy is applying for a sales job, it's important to get a feel of the guys personality/aggressiveness etc... I think recruiters who don't meet are just lazy and doing sloppy work...
    yes. even if i have to recommend someone for my company, i prefer to know that guy personally. It make sense to recommend the right guy.

i'm not saying its wrong, but i doubt it really is so significantly beneficial.

so far i have been placed twice by recruiters, both the recruiters have never met me before and by my count they have received in total more than 1mil HKD.

so if a good oppt is there, are the recruiters going to say 'no' to referring u to potential employer simply because they are unable to meet you ?