Like Tree4Likes

How do you go about looking for work in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do you go about looking for work in Hong Kong?

Hi all! I am new here, have just moved to Macau from Poland, secured ID card (processing) and looking for work. But job market here in Macau is for the Cantonese speakers only, plus I am confused about how people apply for jobs...

All those forms with your education and work experience stating exact dates and salary, company address, without even asking what the position involved, what your skills or career achievements are...

Can someone explain to me what is the job hunting process here in Hong Kong / Macau, where and how to look for work, how to apply and what mistakes to avoid?

My background is in Business Development and online Marketing.

In the UK I would upload my profile and CV on Monsters and apply for jobs that recruiters put up online, including Gumtree ads.
    In Gibraltar I had to get hold of a paperback Yellow Pages and send CV plus cover letter by post to all companies I was interested in working at.
    In Poland I would just write a catchy email to the company I am interested in working for and phone them up a few times...

All methods were country specific and it took me a while to figure them out.

So how does it really works out in Hong Kong?

Last edited by deos; 13-08-2011 at 05:24 PM.

Do you speak any form of Chinese at all? If not, a flight back to Warsaw will help you greatly...

Just out of curiosity, how does one secure a Macau ID card without any sort of job offer?

I don't mean this in a rude fashion but, why on earth are you here? You have the whole EU to find a job in and you move to Macau? Why?

HongKongFoot likes this.

Maybe he stole some candy bars in France and now he is screwed with a criminal record...

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    I don't mean this in a rude fashion but, why on earth are you here? You have the whole EU to find a job in and you move to Macau? Why?
    bibbju, MandM! and Freetrader like this.

Do you know Hong Kong and Macau are different? A Macau ID doesn't give you the right to work/live in HK, at least I don't think it does

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    Maybe he stole some candy bars in France and now he is screwed with a criminal record...
    Lucky for him then. I understand that there may soon be a position opening up in hong kong with a "major international bank"...

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    I am sure he won't do it again.
    But anyways, what made you decide to move to Macau in the first place?

what made you decide to move to Macau in the first place?
    I married a Macanese and decided it would be very cool to settle in Asia, we love it here and it's her home.

Technically she is Chinese, Macau is not a country, a Portugese colony yes, an independent country no.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast