Anti Discrimination Law???

Closed Thread

Anti Discrimination Law???

Okay....so I am at the very early stages of speaking with my company about possibly relocating to HK. I am based in the US and will speak with the hiring manager in HK next week. My wife has been reading about expat packages not being that great in HK...apparently this is due to some anti discrimination law that HK passed a couple of years ago??? This law requires companies to prove that they cannot find people in HK with the same skills as you... is anyone familiar with this? My wife was not 100% sure...any help that you can give would be great!

You're confusing a lot of issues.

The proposed clause in the racial discrimination bill has not happened (yet?), and even if it does that clause is extremely unlikely to make it through.

Any employer who wishes to employ someone who is not a HK Permanent Resident has to justify to immigration why they cannot find such a person to do the job. This is just normal practice pretty much anywhere in the world for companies wishing to employ aliens.

Having said that, if you are doing an internal transfer it is normally no problem at all to demonstrate that no-one in HK has the specific combination of skills and knowledge of your employer.

Expat packages vary enormously - it's every wo/man for themselves when it comes to the negotiation - there are no "standard" packages or "rates for the job".

Quote Originally Posted by hkdman:
    expat packages not being that great in HK...
    To a point and within reason your package is as good as you negiotate it to be.