13-month bonus, effect on job hunting?

Closed Thread

13-month bonus, effect on job hunting?

I have heard that the end of the year is a comparatively bad time to job hunt, because people are hanging on until they get lunar new year (13 month) bonuses. Is there truth to this, is it a bad time to hunt for a job? If so, when should I start search to be on track when turnover picks up after chinese new year?

Sorry, I don't understand. If you need a job you can't be picky about the timeframe to find one. If you already have a job and want another one then it can't hurt getting out there looking for one.

There is generally a bit more turnover after CNY but alot of companies have caught onto this and developed strategies such as quarterly or 1/2 yearly bounus schemes.

Mattman, what your talking about is the 13th month pay, this comes in full at the end of the year, the bonus on top of that is usually split, most will just take the 1/2 month and bugger off once they get a new job.

What you must also understand is that even though there are many jobs during CNY, it means there will be more poeple looking for that Great Job as well so dont wait, find what you can and jump around till u find a job that you like.

It also depends on the type of job you are looking for. Professionals tend to be paid bonuses based on some sort of performance metric and year end bonuses are negotiable if you leave mid-year, with new employers typically covering what you would have been paid IF you had stayed. Support staff and those in more junior positions tend to get a year end or 13 month type bonus that isn't as closely tied to performance. For example, my bonus depends on how many hours I work and a bit on the amount of revenue that I bring to the firm. My secretary gets a 13 month bonus as long as she just shows up most of the time and does a decent job. And then there are bankers bonuses, which now have different rules depending on the country of the home office...

Clarification

To clarify for virago and anyone else who's kind enough to share thoughts, I am currently working and living in the US, but trying to determine the best time to move. Haven't had much luck searching for a job remotely, so we are planning to take the plunge without a job and hope for the best when we get there. (My wife is a HK native and citizen, so right to work is a formality, no need for company sponsorship.) Thanks to all.

Mattman, how much time have you spent in HK thus far and what was the length of your longest stay here?

I ask because HK is different enough from the United States (I myself moved here from the USA nearly a decade ago now) that I think you should experience it a bit, getting as close to what normal life would be like for you here as possible (vs. the tourist experience), before making this huge a change.

less people finding job also means that if there is an opening u have lessor people fighting with you for it.

dear giant: Thanks for the concern. I lived and worked in HK 1993-1998. Met my wife there. Been back every other year or so since for family visits.

OK, then. I wish you luck!