View Poll Results: How long did it took to get an offer?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • less than 1 month

11 29.73%
  • less than 3 months

6 16.22%
  • more than 3 months

14 37.84%
  • ran out of money, packed your bags and went home

6 16.22%

How long did it take to find a job in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How long did it take to find a job in HK?

Okie, another poll...

For those who came to HK to search for jobs, do you mind sharing how long it took before you finally got an offer?

I know it depends on industries, language skills, etc but unfortunately it's not possible to put all the options in.

Actually, would like to know through what medium too, eg agents, websites... but maybe next one.. haha...

Just wanted to do some research before I drop everything and jump ship...

Thanks!!!

8 months

I moved here with my wife who got a job offer while we were still in the states. It took my 8 months to finally get an offer. I primarily applied for jobs online, mainly jobsdb.com. Basically, I just applied for a lot of jobs, ones relevant to my background of course. I went about 5 interviews and eventually got an offer.

seriously depends very much on what you want, how much you are willing to accept and job scope...

there are many lame, boring, rude and superficial jobs out here in HKG ...

End of the day Depends on YOU

It could also be the case of : The Company wants you, YOU hate them scenario... ahahahah

It's damn hard. Much easier if you were transfer from already existing job back home. Different people have different strokes of luck. I agree with Vodkalicious, it's what you want and what you are willing to accept. But it's not easy...sometimes circumstances put you at work in a place you hate....

Thanks all for the replies...

NickN,

Just hope that you were picky... if it's that difficult even though you already had a visa, that's really bad...

Vodkalicious/Janet_cbc,

Ya agree, but I figured that hopefully if I could at least secure a job within 3 months, I could then move on from there. At least with an income and in HK, looking for a better option is much easier. ( I hope! )

BTW, I'm in engineering... any leads?

Im in the grey area ... are u keen ??

grey area?

I don't think your poll is representative, as most of those who failed to find a job and went back home won't be on this forum anymore. From my observation, there are at least 3 to 4 people who failed for each one who found a job here. The market for those who are not local is terrible. I experienced it for a couple of month and there's no way HK is a "good" place for any expat to find a job. Definitely not of London or NYC standard...

Quote Originally Posted by eagerbeaver:
    I don't think your poll is representative, as most of those who failed to find a job and went back home won't be on this forum anymore. From my observation, there are at least 3 to 4 people who failed for each one who found a job here. The market for those who are not local is terrible. I experienced it for a couple of month and there's no way HK is a "good" place for any expat to find a job. Definitely not of London or NYC standard...

I second to you. The world is not flat here :P

Eagerbeaver,

Actually, I'm more interested about how long it takes for those who were successful. The last option is well, just for fun I guess. I figured that, some of those who went home might still surf geoexpat. You'll never know right?

Thanks for sharing your observations regarding those who failed and went back.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast