Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Satay Sue

Internal Transfers accrual of annual leave and long service leave

Closed Thread

Internal Transfers accrual of annual leave and long service leave

Just wondering what has people's experience been for any accrued annual leave for an internal transfer. Did you get a payout for the accrued amount from your old company before you transferred to Hong Kong. Or were you able carry across your accrued annual leave to Hong Kong. My offer is a new permanent contract to Hong Kong, not a temporary assignment for 1 or 2 years so officially I'll be employed by our Hong Kong office.

Just wondering for any Aussies who had an internal transfer to Hong Kong, what happened to your long service leave? Is that forfeited as I don't think Hong Kong has long service leave, is this right? Mainly wondering how they calculate your years of service when you transfer to another company, does the counter go back to 0 years of service.

But Hong Kong has Long Service Payment, but I guess that even though it's an internal transfer the clock will start counting from 0 again to calculate your years of service for the Long Service Payment and not include any of the previous years of employment with the Aussie office?

Thanks in advance.

Can't you ask your HR department?

amrit.bharadwaj likes this.

What Sue said. It's entirely up to you and your company as to what you might find a mutually agreeable arrangement that would facilitate them offering and you accepting the position.

That's what I thought, in the process of discussing with HR. Just wanted to get the feel of other peoples experience to try and get more prepared for negotiation.

It's likely it will be paid out, which is a nice sum but of course the tax will come into to play so not ideal. Really should have taken more holidays throughout the year.

When I moved from Australia to NZ, I carried out normal leave over and long service leave just got ignored (neither paid out nor carried over). But I only had 5 years of long service so probably not worth much!

Moving from NZ to HK, again leave was carried over. The long service provisions here are nothing - absolutely useless - just mean you get enough money to buy 2 cups of coffee if made redundant, not just the one.

I came from the UK, not down under, so the long service leave concept didn't apply. But what I negotiated was for the HK subsidiary of the multinational to continue contributing to the UK subsidiary's defined benefits pension plan. This was extremely valuable in the long run (assuming the UK pension fund doesn't go bust entirely!). Pension provisions here under local contracts are often non-existent (except MPF).