Like Tree19Likes

Becoming a Teacher in HK

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kltang:
    Mate, you situation is very similiar to my, I moved here 3 years ago, just completed my TESOL course 3 weeks ago, waiting on the results.
    I strongly recommend it, if you need further info drop me a few lines.
    If you don't mind me asking what did you do for 3 years prior to deciding to become a teacher?

I'm just worried teaching might be a bad decision as the maximum salary caps at around 40000hkd a month and it takes a good while to get there from 24000hkd a month.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin751:
    If you don't mind me asking what did you do for 3 years prior to deciding to become a teacher?

I'm just worried teaching might be a bad decision as the maximum salary caps at around 40000hkd a month and it takes a good while to get there from 24000hkd a month.
    I was working for an US tour operator and teaching p/t, then I worked for a Japanese tour operator and teaching p/t.
    I wanted to change industries completed, hence the decision to enrol on the TESOL course.

Hey Gavin751,

I was like you 12 or 13 years ago without reading, writing or reading Chinese. I could speak Cantonese though. I did get some jobs in Hong Kong. The pay wasn't too high to survive in Hong Kong with the jobs I found. Luckily, I stayed with my aunt so I didn't have to pay too much rent. I tried some Agencies to help me find jobs too. I decided to try teaching in Mainland China after two years in Hong Kong. I can type Chinese on the computer but can't write on paper though. My Mandarin speaking and listening is better than before.
    If you haven't taught before, you should try to teach in Mainland China first of all to see if you really like teaching. Teaching is not for everybody though.

Hey

Does China accept Asians to teach English?

Quote Originally Posted by sukiyakieangie:
    Hey

Does China accept Asians to teach English?
    ? What are you asking? Does the government of the PRC allow Asians to teach English? - Sure, why not? Will employers in China hire Asian English teachers? - Again sure, if they are qualified, why not? Is there discrimination in hiring English teachers based on ethnicity? - Yes. But if you are well qualified and a native speaker you should be able to find a position.

BTW, this is a HK forum, and we are not China per se...

Mate, you situation is very similiar to my, I moved here 3 years ago, just completed my TESOL course 3 weeks ago, waiting on the results.
    I strongly recommend it, if you need further info drop me a few lines.

I was working for an US tour operator and teaching p/t, then I worked for a Japanese tour operator and teaching p/t. I wanted to change industries completed, hence the decision to enrol on the TESOL course.
    I'm sorry but seriously, you believe you will be qualified to teach English??!!
    dear giant and drumbrake like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    I'm sorry but seriously, you believe you will be qualified to teach English??!!
    Why not, who are you to judge, because of some of my spelling?
    Sorry, didn't know I was writing for the Oxford dictionary forum.
    Anyway I was trying to help fellow BBC's or overseas Chinese in HK.

Alternatively, you may want to offer some suggestions/experiences to help others, rather than making smart ass comments!
    MsPoppins likes this.

Why not, who are you to judge, because of some of my spelling?
    Sorry, didn't know I was writing for the Oxford dictionary forum.
    Anyway I was trying to help fellow BBC's or overseas Chinese in HK.

Alternatively, you may want to offer some suggestions/experiences to help others, rather than making smart ass comments!
    It was not your spelling that was being faulted, it was your lack of English grammar. Spelling can be down to laziness or fast typing (or being American, lol) but poor grammar really highlights someone who is not fully fluent in English - and thus should not be teaching it.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    It was not your spelling that was being faulted, it was your lack of English grammar. Spelling can be down to laziness or fast typing (or being American, lol) but poor grammar really highlights someone who is not fully fluent in English - and thus should not be teaching it.
    Once again, thank you for your useful/less comments.
    Do you think I will write/talk/teach like this in a class?!

Go and offer some useful suggestions or comments to help others, if you want to go around critising people's grammar, I suggest you go to a kindergarten
    MsPoppins likes this.

LOL Methinks thee doth protest too much!