Like Tree9Likes

My life story and suggestions for moving to Hong Kong to teach English

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My life story and suggestions for moving to Hong Kong to teach English

Hello everyone.

I've been browsing this board and am very thankful to have this great site as a resource. I'm looking for advice/suggestions to help clarify some things for me. Here's a quick bio...I'm ethnically Chinese, born in Hong Kong and raised in America. My Cantonese if fluent, and I'm semi-fluent in Mandarin. I graduated from a university in San Diego, CA with a degree in business--emphasis in finance. I've been working in investment research as an equity analyst for a number of years (I even have my CFA certification), but am now looking for a career switch into education to become a teacher--most likely a kindergarten teacher, as I adore the little ones. I don't "hate" my current job; I just want a career that's more fulfilling, meaningful, and one I can excel in. Some additional details are that I'm an American citizen, and have a permanent HK ID card in addition to a Chinese ID card.

I do have experience "teaching" through training others at my current and previous jobs, in addition to small-group teaching/tutoring in writing and math for high school and college students. Furthermore, I'm currently enrolled in 2 childhood development classes (for ages 0-9) in curriculum planning for language arts/science and music/movement.

My ideal plan is to teach English in HK for 2 years starting in August 2012, then going to China for another 1-2 years teaching English, and, finally, returning to San Diego for a kindergarten teaching position at a public school. However, if I enjoy my experience in HK/China, I wouldn't mind a longer stay. Why HK and China? I enjoy learning about Chinese culture and feel a need to explore my roots. To summarize, I am looking for that next chapter in my life, and by teaching English in HK and China I'll have the opportunity to explore my roots AND get experience teaching to see if a career in education is a viable long-term option for me.

I'm figuring out the next steps to take and have some questions, so please feel free to chime in.

1. My main goal is to secure a NET position in HK from the education bureau. What
    can I do to increase the odds of getting hired?
    2. Regarding teaching English certificates, I know that CELTA and Trinity
    TESOL are the two brand names, but they're also relatively expensive compared
    to others. Would the CELTA or Trinity really give me that much of a leg-up?
    Similarly, these two qualifications are big in Europe, but how are they looked upon
    in America?
    3. In CA you need a teaching credential to become a public school teacher. Do you
    think I should get my teaching credential (one year of education-related coursework) here in CA while I have the time and resources OR should I for a PGDE in HK? I assume having a teaching credential in California would also qualify me to teach in primary school in Hong Kong, but does anyone know if a PGDE in HK would allow me to teach in CA if I returned here?

Anyhow, I'm looking for some guidance and clarification so if you have any comments or suggestions on anything I've said, please respond. Thank you in advance.

Creative83 likes this.

Props to you for throwing everything you've accomplished out the window and follow what you want to do.

Otherwise, I can't answer any of your questions. Just thought what u're doing is worth some encouragements.

Last edited by Creative83; 13-10-2011 at 02:49 AM.

NETS is reasonably hard to get into - they have good pay - but sounds like you have a shot. Any extra teaching experience would probably be a bonus as would extra qualifications. HK is BIG on formal qualifications!

I do wonder though - would you find it easier to start in China rather than HK? It may be easier (HK is an easy option for white native engish speaking teachers, China is much more of a barrier but your Mandarin would smooth the way for you there).

(NB I'm not a teacher just know a few. So listen more to any real teachers who come on with comments)

albertchan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I do wonder though - would you find it easier to start in China rather than HK? It may be easier (HK is an easy option for white native engish speaking teachers, China is much more of a barrier but your Mandarin would smooth the way for you there).
    My experience when we where recruiting for NET in China was that - If you are a VISUALLY OBVIOUS NET then there is no problem being accepted to teach. If you are a NET ( even with the greatest skills with an "Anglo Saxon" voice ) and of Asian appearance .... then not so much.

Example - MA in English from UCLA. Born in US. Korean Parents - Not accepted by the client.

The client was not overwhelmingly racist in our view. Example - Graduate of Washington Uni. Major in English, Born in US, African American - Accepted by the client.

I think, in my experience, the client wanted the best he could get for the money and that was a "real" foreigner.

If you want to teach young learners you'd be much better off taking a young learner qualification such as the CELTYL than a qualification in teaching adults such as CELTA or TESOL. CELTYL is an RSA/Cambridge qualification as is the CELTA.

You need to factor in costs of coming to HK and what you can do UNLESS you have family housing here which eliminates a huge part of the problem.

I know a qualified (also HK Perm) Canadian recent grad with a B Ed with a business focus who just started with ESF as an Educational Assistant with the goal of becoming a full teacher in future as jobs open up. Not sure IF they would move such a person up to a teacher role. I know some HK school systems won't do this despite outstanding performance from their EA who goes on in HK and gets fully qualified to teach. They hire only teachers with at least 2 or mores full teaching experience.

But you first need to factor in the economics as HK isn't cheap and you are targeting jobs that don't pay like you might be used to.

How can you be an American citizen and a (mainland) Chinese citizen at the same time?

You are born Chinese and naturalize as an American. China won't recognize your American citizenship, but everywhere else will.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    My experience when we where recruiting for NET in China was that - If you are a VISUALLY OBVIOUS NET
    How the hell can you tell that someone is a native English speaker just by looking at them?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    How the hell can you tell that someone is a native English speaker just by looking at them?
    That, I think, I was the point he was making.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast