How do you get the freelance writing jobs?

Closed Thread

How do you get the freelance writing jobs?

Hi all,
    I'd like to write for the media as a freelance writer. How do you get a writing job in HK? I'd like to write in English (news stories for leisure) but there seems to be very few such jobs in HK.
    Thanks a lot~

Very few? There are quite a number of lifestyle publications around. Just have a look at all the crap available at Pacific Coffee and Citysuper. You just need to contact their editors, sell yourself, provide clips and it shouldn't be too hard to find freelance work. In fact it should be easy if you are proactive and have the traits required of a journalist. If you sit around waiting for a classified ad for recruiting "freelance lifestyle journalists", you will find nothing. Don't expect to make much money either. The SCMP pays something like $2/word. Most other publications probably pay less.

Last edited by grandcider; 28-07-2007 at 12:38 AM.

Oh yes, I missed those publications. Thanks for reminding me this!
    My friend who's been a reporter also asked me to be more proactive and sell myself by letters. That's a way to start rather than looking for ads.
    Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by grandcider:
    Very few? There are quite a number of lifestyle publications around. Just have a look at all the crap available at Pacific Coffee and Citysuper. You just need to contact their editors, sell yourself, provide clips and it shouldn't be too hard to find freelance work. In fact it should be easy if you are proactive and have the traits required of a journalist. If you sit around waiting for a classified ad for recruiting "freelance lifestyle journalists", you will find nothing. Don't expect to make much money either. The SCMP pays something like $2/word. Most other publications probably pay less.