Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MovingIn07

Proofreading fees

Closed Thread

Proofreading fees

Has anyone any experience of charging for proofreading educational materials please?
    I have to offer a quotation and don't know what might be acceptable. Thanks Chrisbo

heyy, it depends on the quality and quantitiy of assignments and also your experience.
    normally people start with 1 USD to say 5 USD ( beginners' range) and so on and so forth.. you can always take a cue from your project seller's budget and quote further.

Quote Originally Posted by kthepade:
    ...normally people start with 1 USD to say 5 USD ( beginners' range) and so on and so forth...
    USD 1 - 5 per letter? Word? Sentence? Paragraph? Per page? Per document of 5 pages?

I'd expect to pay around HKD500 per hour for such services, of a good quality.

kthepade likes this.

on top what has already been mentioned I think it would also depend on the language and how easy/difficult it would be to find someone else to it.

sorry about that!
    it should be per sentence....and agreeing about the language part, you can always judge by your assignments!

I usually quote these minimum fees from the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (UK), converted to HK$: SfEP suggested minimum freelance rates - Society for Editors and Proofreaders

I have experience and qualifications in the field, but am always willing to be flexible - I think this is a must! I would enter a dialogue with the provider and be prepared to both a) meet them halfway if it's a decent-sized job and b) refuse to go below what you believe is fair & reasonable price-wise.

Good luck!