Like Tree11Likes

Tech Internship for Teenager?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sounds like someone whose ego has got way ahead of their abilities and experience. As an employer I would advise some job interview practice for the OP.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

There's Internlink at Cyberport. I think it starts each February but I'm not entirely sure.

Internslink

The OP is young so I'd cut the person some slack but I agree it leads to losing that good chance and knowing Shri as I do the OP is really missing a great learning opportunity as Shri has both these forums and ShopinHK. What a chance to learn.

However this is HK and this is quite typical of the youth here. My experience with interns is that here unlike Canada they look only for what's in it for them as they must face relentless peer pressure to do well or pressure from their families. Opposite to that is my experience in Canada with college interns in that they can see the upside better to offers like Shri here has made for this person. They will trade off money for opportunity to build skills and a resume and then use that work and the reference for their paying work later on.

Two things that I look for in junior staff in HK as well as their backgrounds, skills and what they are looking for:

1. what peer pressure to do well are they are coming with.
    2. what pressure are they getting from their families esp. strong moms.

In my round about way when any HK born and bred student asks for career advice, once I get these questions answered I better understand their reality and then suggest ways forward for them.

HK kids see obstacles more than back home where more of them it seems can see benefits and opportunities if they can just get interesting challenges. It is not about their intelligence but about their reference groups that is different.

Amazing post, yet, pretty much a norm.

Lessons learnt for KK. Learning good interpersonal skils is just as important as being tech savvy.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    However this is HK and this is quite typical of the youth here. My experience with interns is that here unlike Canada they look only for what's in it for them as they must face relentless peer pressure to do well or pressure from their families. Opposite to that is my experience in Canada with college interns in that they can see the upside better to offers like Shri here has made for this person. They will trade off money for opportunity to build skills and a resume and then use that work and the reference for their paying work later on.

HK kids see obstacles more than back home where more of them it seems can see benefits and opportunities if they can just get interesting challenges. It is not about their intelligence but about their reference groups that is different.
    Once again, I did not realize that that post was going to be interpreted as rude, and I apologize, again :/

Something challenging, yet interesting, is something I'd accept as a goal, and completing it would bring nothing but a benefit. The reason I did get so involved was because of a tough mom who expected perfect everything. haha. The only reason I'm looking for internships is to learn about the ethos at larger or matured organizations, as well as gain a reference for some university distinction, as internship opportunities are quite limited here in comparison to say, the US.

My aim for when I get older is to solve a world millennium development goal with the use of ICT, and I plan on gaining perspective from some of the world's intelligent young minds at universities like the ones I listed earlier, and use ICT to gain awareness and possibly even solve some of those problems using IT, funded by a commercial start up.

I am looking to learn, mostly, and to learn later, I need to learn now. If that made sense, haha.

Also @albahk, I took a look at the links you posted, and the third one (HK Startup Weekend) is definitely one I'd really want to take part in! Thank you very much! I've been looking for a local 'hackathon' like that for a few months now!