Like Tree13Likes

Bicycle for the work commute?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I'll take people who know a little bit about operating a vehicle vs the clueless cyclists weaving around talking on their mobile or texting while cycling with a few abrupt and unannounced stops. Not to mention the ones on foot that are not looking where they are going. Never been on a path without seeing some kind of incident...

Bike paths are great if you're plan is to ride at 10km/hr beside your grandma jogging

we (read: I) haven't done it BECAUSE i think it is insane, for all of the reasons i stated in the very first post.

many moons ago when i lived in canada my ONLY form of transport was my bike. i biked all over the city! there is still no way i would ride in central here in hk.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    I'll take people who know a little bit about operating a vehicle
    As soon as you find them in HK let the rest of us know..
    dear giant and Char Siu King like this.

I cycled a lot on the streets in Kowloon and Hong Kong with much of a problem. Certainly not much different from negotiating Hyde Park Corner in London, and if the OP has cycled in downtown NY, also not much difference.

The reaction from most people on here sounds similar to the HK Government - cycling is only a leisure activity and should be relegated to specially made cycle paths in the NT.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    I cycled a lot on the streets in Kowloon and Hong Kong with much of a problem.
    Should be without!

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    As soon as you find them in HK let the rest of us know..
    Interesting, you love to tell everyone how a car is so wonderful... I guess it's too bad you don't know how to operate it. Or perhaps you happen to be the only one blessed with that special knowledge...

In any case, the drivers are far less idiotic than the people on bike paths...

HKers do not know how to ride bikes, seriously. I saw a teenager with training wheels out in the NT the other day. Really freaked me out.

The other thing HKers cant do is swim. Not being able to ride a bike I can kind of understand because the infrastructure and environment just doesnt allow it. But swimming?? We are surrounded by water FFS!! Why cant HKers swim??

dear giant likes this.

You often see people cycling along the tramways

Cycling is for the brave and for the delivery of cooking gas (still delivered by bicycle for walk-ups that don't have town gas)

Also HK has a dense mix of side streets, urban streets and urban expressways. Be careful you don't take a wrong turn and end-up on an unban expressway.

Last edited by East_coast; 25-10-2011 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    HKers do not know how to ride bikes, seriously. I saw a teenager with training wheels out in the NT the other day. Really freaked me out.

The other thing HKers cant do is swim. Not being able to ride a bike I can kind of understand because the infrastructure and environment just doesnt allow it. But swimming?? We are surrounded by water FFS!! Why cant HKers swim??
    I'm not sure what makes you say that...Swimming is very popular in schools and most good schools have regular programs as part of PE. The aquathons are also more popular than triathlons for both kids and adults. There are series of long distance races, plenty of people in pools and the beach doing water sports.

I don't really see that much difference between here and most Western countries...

Re swimming - I too have been amazed at the number of locals here who can't swim. I encounter them (bizarrly) even on stream treks where swimming is part of the fun and they paddle knee deep and confess to being unable to swim. Not sure I know any westerner who can't swim.