office politics

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sylvesterjay:
    face it, its human nature for most people to be petty, spiteful, back-biting, game-playing silly buggers.

aiya! I've been pushing for Tequila Tuesdays at work for years to cope.
    Tequila... <shudder> now boozy Tuesdays and thirsty Thursdays... then you're talking!

Hi beafan,

How long have you worked in Canada? cause I work at TD Bank for two yrs and the first two points are the same in Canada. Im surprise that you are surprise about these politics. Especially the second point is something you learned in HR class in university.

Well the third point is, that just the way it is in Asia. Kinda like how my parents were surprised that ppl get jobs in Canada based on how much ppl he knows instead of expertise

Ric, i'm betting you went to Humber College or Slowhawk, cuz in my uni HR classes we certainly didn't learn email addressing order and timing of handing in work...or maybe i skipped that class. Or maybe you went to UBC, University of a Billion Chinese, and thats why it was covered.

(1) Yep - this is the "local culture". I found out on my first day at work. The executive administrator told me I should order the email distribution list by seniority/level of importance. I did not bother. That's why I'm always last in the emails she sent out - to tell me I'm insignificant. And you won't believe this but I work in an american bank.

my god are people really that insecure that they care about this kind of petty crap? how utterly insignificant their pathetic lives must be to concentrate on something so infantile. jeez focus on the content of the email, who gives a hairy rats ass about the order of the addressee's? <shaking head>

fine, be that way. if they like to play petty games, i will play these petty games

are there any other stupid HR "procedures" that you were told in ur american bank that u had to keep in mind? maybe it's stuff that i should need to know about too.

my old local company never had this kind of crap. we dont hv deadlines. just get it finished when it gets finished. KAPEESH.

about apple polishing, we just had our GROUP apple polishing session a few fridays ago. wont get into details but what was done at the apple polishing session was against the intentions of some ppl who attended. i mean. how pathetic are we?

Last edited by beafan; 02-08-2007 at 06:12 PM.

being an employee....it is not how well u work, it is about how good that u can be a member of the "big family"

i am not sure how long u hav been working...i was like u guys when i just graduated....but ppl change as they get older.....or after u got to understand the meaning of "isolation" or "scapegoat"

i am sure here are a lot of senior manager expats here.....i really want them to share their thought on how to handle those situations...

by the way, if u call these stuff office politics....i am sure u will feel sick when u see the real one....

Well, something happened with me too....got a senior position in a very good company and i like my job. Have like 7 people working under me, and they dont like new people. I am new in company.
    I went to one of them to ask something, and the reply I got was " I dont know, ask someone else" and i think the person dint know that though I dont know chinese but I certainly know chinese abuses (thanks to chinese movies)...and as i stepped back from her seat, she started saying bad words about me. I dint report to my boss, coz I dont like to complain, but I really got angry, but I dont know what to do in this kind of situation.

Quote Originally Posted by sylvesterjay:
    Ric, i'm betting you went to Humber College or Slowhawk, cuz in my uni HR classes we certainly didn't learn email addressing order and timing of handing in work...or maybe i skipped that class. Or maybe you went to UBC, University of a Billion Chinese, and thats why it was covered.
    Please read my reply again..it seems like your the one that went to Slowhawk. And no for your info Im in UofT commerce..where theres like a Billion chinese in the program. I dont think they didnt teach these soft skills to your generation.

I agree that these office politics are ridiculous, but you have to be naive to completely ignore them

Quote Originally Posted by aloc:
    by the way, if u call these stuff office politics....i am sure u will feel sick when u see the real one....
    very tru...the stuff you mention aint real office politcs at all

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast