Chinese Canadian looking for job in HK (work visa needed)

Closed Thread

Chinese Canadian looking for job in HK (work visa needed)

Hello,

I'm a 25 year old Chinese Canadian looking for a job in HK. I am currently employed at a large Finance firm in Canada but it has always been a desire of mine to live and work in Asia. I was wondering if anyone here can provide tips on applying for Finance/Consulting work in HK. My Cantonese is limited and I would require employment sponsorship. From what I've seen, companies in HK are reluctant to sponsor expats especially since I'm considered a recent graduate and my Cantonese/Mandarin is not fluent. But I have non-chinese friends that have found work in HK...I am applying for job openings on company websites, ex. Accenture, Bloomberg, etc. Can anyone here provide other companies that actively give out visas?

Thanks!

From what I understand, if you are already working for a company in the field you want to be in, it is much easier to get an internal transfer to a branch in HK.

As a recent grad with limited Chinese knowledge, you are in for a uphill battle applying for jobs externally. The fact of the matter is that there are many people in HK in the finance sector. I've heard people say that for the money you spend hiring an expat, you can easily hire 2-3 locals who will do the same job. Like I said, unless you have something unique to offer, it's going to be an uphill battle. That's not to say you won't find anything here though! But if you do, prepare to work longer hours as the work culture is completely different here.

Best of luck in your search!

There's a lot of job cuts and hire freezes going on at the moment though so it's not a good time trying to find a Job in Finance.

Thomson Reuters might be hiring right now though.

I'm utilizing my connections right now and hopefully I can get into a company via candidate referral. I used to work for TR, so utilizing my alumni network there as well. But my current employer is a European based firm, so few subsidiaries in Asia. Has anyone tried applying for work as an expat on JobsDB.com? I applied to it once and was contacted asking if I am HK permanent resident and when I responded I never heard from them again. So looks like the career site is geared towards locals?

Has anyone tried expat recruiting agencies? Any reputable ones?

Try

Robert Walters, Robert Half, Hudson

All geared towards finance professionals

Also try Michael Page. www.michaelpage.com.hk. Robert Walters mentioned above:
    www.robertwalters.com. A smaller firm is Global - banking & finance recruiters email [email protected]. It's been a while since I was head hunted but the best time is just after Chinese New Year when people get their bonuses and leave to another job.