tax return

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

tax return

I just left the company that I worked with about 5 months between March - July because of complicated pregnancy issue. The company said that if I am leaving the country back to my own country I need to get clearance from the taxman before they can pay me last month salary. Is this true? The issue is that I would like to leave the country as soon as possible because I have no one to look after me here in Hong Kong. How long will it take to receive the tax bill ao that I can pay asap.
    This is the fist time I pay tax in Hong Kong so I have no other reference number. I just want to have an idea of what to do. Apparently the company has submiteed the paperwork at the end of July.

Yes it's true.

This page tells you what to do:
    http://www.ird.gov.hk/eng/tax/ind_twl.htm

From which:

"To expedite tax clearance, you may also call in person. Please bring along the I.R. 56G from your employer, payroll slips and supporting documents for all deductions / allowances claimed and call at:
    Central Enquiry Counter at 1/F of Revenue Tower during Monday to Friday (8:15 am to 5:30 pm)."

Quote Originally Posted by adahc:
    This is the fist time I pay tax in Hong Kong so I have no other reference number. I just want to have an idea of what to do. Apparently the company has submiteed the paperwork at the end of July.
    As PDLM says, it's true.

However - it's nothing to be scared of. I went through the process last summer and it took me about 3 hours, in total, from walking into Revenue Tower in Wanchai with 2 tax returns, one early and one overdue, to walking out having submitted the forms, been given a bill, paid it and got a formal receipt which allowed my employer to release my final paycheque.

You can do all the paperwork yourself. It's a lot simpler than in the UK - and I'd guess than in most western countries - and I found the staff to be very helpful, and they fully understood the "I'm leaving the country next week and need to clear this up today" situation.

So far I'm stilll waiting for the I.R. 56G from my employer, payroll slips, they said it shoukd take one month. I'm not sure why?

what are the supporting documents for all deductions / allowances claimed?

If you claim any deductions for charitable donations, time spent outside HK, and stuff like that.

Sounds like your employer needs a bit of a kick - they should be able to produce all the forms pretty much immediately once you have left.

Eventhough it is my first time for paying tax? They saif since I will leave the country, I should pay tax before they can pay me and they are doig all the paperwork for me. I'm not too sure what is there to do on their part? I sent several emails to them already. They said it will take 1 month to do it. What should I do? Who should I contact?

From the pages I linked to above:

For further information or assistance:
    • Go to “Tax Information ?Individuals ?About to leave HK” under www.ird.gov.hk
    • By fax (2877 1232), quoting file reference & telephone number
    • Call 187 8088
    • Visit the Central Enquiry Counter at 1/F, Revenue Tower

It is by law you have to clear the tax before leaving HK.

http://www.ird.gov.hk/eng/tax/ere_obl.htm#08

can I pay tax at the IRD offie to speed upthe process? Or I can only pay at the post office, bnk and by post only?
    Can the issue the release letter for my employer straight away?

Quote Originally Posted by adahc:
    can I pay tax at the IRD offie to speed upthe process? Or I can only pay at the post office, bnk and by post only?
    Can the issue the release letter for my employer straight away?
    There's a post office in the Revenue Tower in Wan Chai, so you can pay there, and I got the letter issued after about 20-30 minutes, having handed over the receipt from the post office.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast