Fringe benefits?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fringe benefits?

Howdy-
    It's time for salary review and I would like to get some ideas on how to get more fringe benefits. I already get housing allowance (which is deducted from my pay). I am married without kids! Oh getting a car has been ruled out...

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboy:
    how to get more fringe benefits.
    Make sure to ask for a HOT secretary, they usually come standard in most packages.

I'm sorry but if you can't negotiate your own terms or know what to ask for then why are you making this move???? If you're not happy with the terms offered, ask for what you want and if they say no, don't do it.

If you're coming for personal reasons (i.e. international experience, see the world, etc.), then just do it and suck it up!!!

In my humble opinion, if you're offered an international assignment and you have to go to a forum to get ideas how to negotiate better terms for yourself, then you're probably not the right person for the job. Once you have some seniority and realize where you stand, then you know what you're worth and what you can ask for.....if you don't know.....you're probably not worth much more than they are already giving you.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it's the truth.

Are you looking for "how" to negotiate or "what" to negotiate?

It should have been "what to negotiate for..."

Here's the thing.I joined the company a year and a half ago with a local package(with monthly housing allowance), but will soon be getting an expat package starting this October due to job promotion. My boss has asked me to think about the possible fringe-benefits which I would like to see included on the new package/offer. I would appreciate it if you guys could give me some ideas.

Again, I am married with no kids. Transportation allowance etc.???

I have to say that this is an extremely ununsual state of affairs. I can't see why any company having got you here on local terms would then somehow offer to give you expat terms. An expat package might include flights home, "cost of living allowance" (COLA) to make up for the difference between where you came from and Hong Kong, and so on.

BUT in many cases the base expat salary is lower than the local salary. AND you would often get tax-equalised (meaning you have more "tax" deducted from your salary than you would as a local).

My experience when going from a fairly full-on expat package to a local package as a single guy, no kids, etc was that the cash in my pocket each month didn't actually change very much. It is very different if you have a family, school fees etc., but that doesn't apply in your case. It also depends on the level of housing that the company is providing - if they are paying at about the same level that you would if the money was under your control then fine, but if they are paying substantially more than you would if it was "your" money then this may alter the balance a bit as well.

Last edited by PDLM; 03-09-2007 at 02:24 PM.

I understand what you mean. FYI, I am currently getting HKD $13K monthly housing allowance. Just out of curiousity...what are the general items listed under COLA for Hong Kong expats? And how much...e.g transportation 2K???

If I am getting a 15K/month pay raise, how can I legally maximize my take home cash without being taxed heavily? Will COLA help in the equation? Any ideas?

entertainment is tax deductible. restaurants, pubs, ballet and the like

Private club memberships are also tax deductible and most have company debentures.

transport: if you dont need a car, ask for more plane tickets. they dont all have to go home or for yourself?

Wouldn't it be easier just to ask for more cash?

some companies are easier with benefits in kind than in cash benefits. perhaps you should really know what you like and need and than add a 15%-22% since u are newly promoted.

Cheers

We have a housing allowance, schooling, business class travel back to the US, the COLA, medical insurance, emergency evacuation insurance, tax equalization (and my taxes are Chinese, so it works out well); no local transportation, though.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast