Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Claire ex-ax

Jobs: How do people in HK look for jobs?

Closed Thread

Jobs: How do people in HK look for jobs?

In the US, we simply post our resume on job engine like Monster, Dice or recruiting company. Or apply directly at the firm's job site.

How do people in HK look/apply for jobs?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Networking
    Networking
    Networking
    Jobsdb.com
    Networking

dtb and Drunken Master like this.

Top jobs, employment & recruitment network across Asia | JobsDB

or Linkedin. I found someone good on there recently.

.CareerTimes/JobsDB/Classified Post

The networking seems to be the most popular answer but where would one start to network

Personally I talk to anyone and generally won't shut up but the key is finding the places to meet people.

I believe that banking/financial jobs can required a lot of networking which is where my wife is looking at the moment and am sure meeting people in the area would be a distinct advantage for her.

On a personal note... is it far too cold today.

To be honest, once upon a time I was sympathetic to "cold-call" seekers, but now I have less time/patience and am a lot more wary. A lot of other people are the same way, so I don't think just meeting people is productive (unless you intend to get to know them as genuine friends for a couple of months). You have to have some kind of connection to serve as catalyst. Start with existing friends. Try headhunters, but be selective and go with executive search/headhunters with true mandates, not the recruiters. PM me if you want specific contacts, but good HHs are niche in area of specialty (trading/sales with sub-specialties rates/credit/equities/derivatives vs risk vs COO/CFO vs I-bankers vs middle office vs finance vs private equity/HF etc.) and I don't know all HHs. Reach out through the university/alumni network, people are generally very helpful and in time you, too, return the favor. Good luck.

Please Google the following: networking events Hong Kong

Agree with LinkedIn, recruiters and also networking. I think one thing with networking that I think people need to be careful with is - develop a friendship first, you're asking someone to recommend you or get them into their company. They don't know you so vouching for a stranger is risky. I'm always hesitant to mention where I work or what I do as it can be very uncomfortable here when people are aggressively persistent at like a social gathering. That's me though.

BV thanks for the information. I will pass the information on to the wife.

Agree with not just e-mailing a person and using them for a job. Unless you form a genuine friendship you probably will not be referred for roles.

Understandable on being wary too as I can imagine a few people using a name to get in a door and annoying a few people along the way. All advice appreciated.