Like Tree3Likes

Moving to HK, advice please!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sometimes the fast pace of life here is overwhelming, Mr. Leung, a Customer Development Manager at HSBC enjoys a short nap on the only park bench in Hong Kong. A privilege enjoyed by few in fast paced Hong Kong......
    travelbee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    For most of the 10 years I was working here my typical working day was about 9:30am to 6pm (as it was for most of my colleagues, although some stayed in the office later some evenings rather than go home if they had nothing better to do - but they weren't working)
    I hope that you're not an exception then. Not sure if that's the case in many/most offices in HK, but someone told me that you are being looked at if you leave the office at around 5 or 6 PM, cuz most people stay till really late... And it was even worse if you left before your manager did...
    I was thinking: don't these people have a life? I mean, some of them must have families at home too, no?! And honestly, I don't think that people are more productive, just because they stay at work longer....
    Last edited by travelbee; 04-02-2012 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Sometimes the fast pace of life here is overwhelming, Mr. Leung, a Customer Development Manager at HSBC enjoys a short nap on the only park bench in Hong Kong. A privilege enjoyed by few in fast paced Hong Kong......
    Looks like Mr. Leung is totally overworked and being underpaid.... What a sad place HK is....
    OP, if you don't wanna end up like this gentleman here, I'd now really reconsider the idea of moving to HK...

My hours are 8-5 Monday to Friday, If I'm not stuck on a client call then I go home. Get all weekends and public holidays off as well.

That's really up to the individual. I spend most of my days strolling around the hills with a bunch of equally relaxed people.
    Is that a well paid job then PDLM?

OP, sounds like you too should start a career in hiking industry.

Quote Originally Posted by travelbee:
    I hope that you're not an exception then. Not sure if that's the case in many/most offices in HK, but someone told me that you are being looked at if you leave the office at around 5 or 6 PM, cuz most people stay till really late... And it was even worse if you left before your manager did...
    I was thinking: don't these people have a life? I mean, some of them must have families at home too, no?! And honestly, I don't think that people are more productive, just because they stay at work longer....
    if you are a banker then that is definitely the case, but that is the same the world over.

I start at 8.30 and leave at 5.30. Every day. Home by 6pm. And never worry about work on the weekends. And get well compensated. Saying that, when I changed jobs at the end of last year I was careful to choose the option with good work life balance.

The civil service is one of HK's biggest employers and in my experience they work set hours, get good benefits and do not have a very stressful work day.

I often hear HK described as fast paced - in my experience nothing could be farther from the truth. Yes its a big modern city but attitudes can be a bit old fashioned and slow which means things often take time.

As far the hours, if your in finance or law then yes - you may be putting long hours in but even then half the people in the office at 8pm and there because they want to be not because they have to be. As a web designer its unlikely you will do much different to what would be expected of you in Europe unless you get a job in a bank. I certainly haven't.

Good luck coming here, people will tell you about how hard it is to get a job here but its not impossible, and probably not that much harder than Europe at the moment even with the visa issue.

There are literally thousand of web-designers here, but we've been through three in two years and apparently none of them were any good. As with anything if your talented then people will want you.

That's really up to the individual. I spend most of my days strolling around the hills with a bunch of equally relaxed people.
    I agree, even though I'm basically in the middle of the hustle and bustle. Back in the US my day included at least 2-3 hours in a car, between a commute and a trip to the grocery or a restaurant or whatever. Here I walk to basically everything, with food, fun and friends all being within walking distance. It's quite a bit less stressful.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Is that a well paid job then PDLM?
    No - I do it for the enjoyment of it. My previous 9:30am to 6pm jobs were sufficiently well paid that I could afford to switch to this modest, but low-stress, lifestyle at the age of 46.

Look, I understand why all you people would want to keep this boy in Europe, but fact is that HK is a wonderful place! What, fast pace, long work? Nothing more then in NL where I'm from. Nothing different then other metropoles..
    As to webdesign... Start up a small webdesign company in Spain. Service clients from HK!
    It's great that you can do that job from anywhere..

Live your dream!
    But I would suggest that you save up for a holiday and come here once.. Taste the coty and go on job-interviews..

If you are a good designer.. There's always a way..

Risk is that you will have to do different work if you can't get the webdesign thing going..