Like Tree4Likes

How much should my salary be?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How much should my salary be?

Hello! I am planning to apply for a job in Hong Kong. I am foreign (from South East Asia) and I want to know how I should answer if my future employer asks me how much will be my expected salary.

I am 24 years old with a Masters degree in Guidance and Counseling (graduating early this year). I am fluent in English and do not know Chinese (the language). I went to graduate school right after graduating, that's why I have no past work experiences, but I have good grades back in college and graduate school.

I am planning to send my resume and application letters to universities, education centers, and even some counseling/ rehab institutions. I am not picky with job, I am even willing to work as an assitant/trainee/etc. Yes, I just submit my resume without applying for a specific position. If a company/school has something to offer, then I will gladly take it.

So my question is, if asked, how much should be my expected salary? Some of the mentioned possible employers will ask this one. Please give me any insights or opinions. I have no idea about how much should an individual be paid in working in HK. Thank you in advance.

Do you have the right to work in Hong Kong?

If not then with no work experience it would be very hard for an employer to make a case to Immigration to grant you a visa. And, therefore, the employer would have to feel you offer something extraordinary for them even to bother trying to make the case.

Quote Originally Posted by sara_j:
    Yes, I just submit my resume without applying for a specific position. If a company/school has something to offer, then I will gladly take it.
    To anyone in recruitment, there is truly nothing more annoying than those applications!

hey sara_j, Fiona brought you an important fact, sending your resume and a general cover letter saying I can do anything doesn't really help. In fact, for someone like Fiona your resume won't even pass the first filter. Do some research on yourself, what you want to do, then look at the market, specifically, their requirement and duties. You got all of those abilities, the first thing to help others sell their business, is to sell yourself.

I understand that you really want to get a job, in fact, any job as long as you can be here. But unfortunately, the market doesn't work that way. See, Hong Kong is very competitive, and only those who knows what they are capable are, finds a place where they are most needed. Hope this helps and all the best for your job seeking.

Last edited by kolz; 28-01-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kolz:
    you know, if you're pissed because you got too much work in HR then quit your job and work your ass somewhere else! be helpful or shut the hell up! at least try to say it directly, your sarcasm is what kills the forum!
    What a terrible attitude. I HATE those applications too, wouldn't you want to know you are pissing off your potential employers with such a silly stratety? Clearly you have no idea how the real worl operates. Go and get some work experience first. You are no use to anyone without any and as PDLM says, won't get a visa.
    bibbju and carang like this.

kolz, Ligthen up. Fiona is point out a problem with job seekers spraying out their resume. I have found that more than 70% of applicants to jobs are like this and a waste of everybody's time.

they dont bother me more than normal spam does- I just delete them.....

how much should be my expected salary?

How much do you think you are worth to a prospective employer? What skills and experience do you have to offer? if nothing much or you can't say, then the answer is Zero. Why would they employ you..... just because you want a job? you should address this question to your potential employer after they interviewed you.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    What a terrible attitude. I HATE those applications too, wouldn't you want to know you are pissing off your potential employers with such a silly stratety? Clearly you have no idea how the real worl operates. Go and get some work experience first. You are no use to anyone without any and as PDLM says, won't get a visa.
    Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    kolz, Ligthen up. Fiona is point out a problem with job seekers spraying out their resume. I have found that more than 70% of applicants to jobs are like this and a waste of everybody's time.
    Look, certainly I did edit my response, and yes although I said that remarks I did add some pointers, and that is what matters. Besides, the thread starters asks what is the expected salary (bold text), and yes, I did agree that saying "i'll do whatever it takes..." didn't help getting a job. However, I do take a note that there's been a LOT of threads asking about such, and this comes from people very similar; they want to be here no matter what.

So, rather than lashing about how terrible it is, I would like to remind you once again of why people ask in this forum. I once was like them, and only a few people in this forum really do help, but that comes after all those sarcasm replies I got. When you're desperate for something, it is common for people not to analyze the real world. Come on, help them in a nicer way, shall we?
    Last edited by kolz; 29-01-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Easy Moving, easy/ Obviously the OP is young and without much experience. No need to lash out on the newbie in that way.

OP, while Moving is right on the content not so much on the form :-), it is important that you somehow specify what you are applying for.

Think about what you would like to be doing and start from there/ It's going to be tough, let's face it, but if you never try, you'll never know.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast