Like Tree47Likes

Can a Canadian get a dirty labour job?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Loun80 - Got your resume. I have one friend who is in the same area as you, I'll pass it on to him to see if he has anything in your specific industry.

I assume you've tried all the big boys in your industry. Your resume is decent, your background fine and there should be no good reason for you not to be able to find a job in Hong Kong based on what I've seen so far. Are you failing at the interviews or are you not getting any interviews at all?

HC
    Hi Howard. I think I might be failing at interviews since I have had the same job for over 10 years. That means I haven't had an interview since over 10 years.

I agree HC. I'm also circulating his CV as he comes from the industry I'm connected with - and I'm also going to give him a list of agencies to approach.

On paper, he looks good. I, too, wonder how much work he's put into marketing himself.

Maybe some good can come out of his time here

Bryant, for a 50-100k investment and easy 20k monthly return, I'm sure we'd all like to hear of these start up businesses

Wink

I'd like to thank everyone who has given me advice. It means a lot to have this online community of expats who have gone through what I am going through. I owe it to all of you and GeoExpat.

I'm going to continue my search of jobs, business opportunities or do some volunteering and hope to catch up with you sometime on here.

Quote Originally Posted by loun80:
    Hi Howard. I think I might be failing at interviews since I have had the same job for over 10 years. That means I haven't had an interview since over 10 years.
    That could be factoring into things. How many interviews have you attended?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    That could be factoring into things. How many interviews have you attended?
    I've only had 1 telephone interview.

I'm going to continue my search of jobs, business opportunities or do some volunteering and hope to catch up with you sometime on here.
    Be persistent and patient. Take the advice you've been given, evaluate careful and apply it wisely.

Offer anyone who shows interest (eg: me, Fiona, Bryan and others that may come along) a free beverage or 2 in turn for some of their time so that you can pick their brains and get more insight as well as introductions to others; in other words: network, Network, NETWORK and sell&market yourself far and wide.

I know about the one big association in your industry. Have you joined it? Have you attended their luncheons and gettogethers to make new contacts? If not, then start immediately as most decent jobs in Hong Kong are never advertised.

Good luck.

@Fiona if you fancy unloading containers at HACTL at 2am or assembling furniture or lugging washing machines up 6 flights of narrow stairs in summer then let me know, I'll pm you ;-)

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    @Fiona if you fancy unloading containers at HACTL at 2am or assembling furniture or lugging washing machines up 6 flights of narrow stairs in summer then let me know, I'll pm you ;-)
    hahahah not me, personally, but I may know some people who would !!

I've only had 1 telephone interview.
    Aaaaah OK. Well, you need to get pounding the streets (virtually and actually). I shall email you with some information later, you need to get out there and target people you would like to work for. Time and effort will be repaid.

Show some initiative, too. It won't just come to you L, you have to go and work at it. Agencies, targetted employers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I know about the one big association in your industry. Have you joined it? Have you attended their luncheons and gettogethers to make new contacts? If not, then start immediately as most decent jobs in Hong Kong are never advertised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    Aaaaah OK. Well, you need to get pounding the streets (virtually and actually). I shall email you with some information later, you need to get out there and target people you would like to work for. Time and effort will be repaid.
    Show some initiative, too. It won't just come to you L, you have to go and work at it. Agencies, targetted employers, etc.
    The association that I referred to has a HKG based website that lists all of their 2011 membership. If you havent already sent your resume to every single one of them, if you havent visited them all, then you havent finished searching and should not be considering manual labour just yet.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.