Like Tree13Likes

No college diploma/degree - still possible?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

No college diploma/degree - still possible?

Hi, I am wondering if anyone else has the same challenge of finding a job here without graduating from a college/university first AND prior working experience, given that high school education is the highest credential one can put on his or her CV.

Of course, it would be common sense to finish college first. But my situation happened otherwise - I used to study graphic design at a college in HK, but personal problems arose and I am temporarily postponing my education. Now I am currently looking for something to gain some working experience, be it graphic design, kitchen work, copywriting or proofreading. That's about as far as I can go, knowing I'm at a disadvantage for my hearing impairment and lack of Chinese skills.

I'm not going to let this aside, though. I have e-mailed to some people about possible internships. I just want to know if any of you have this same problem, applying for jobs as an English or other language speaker here in HK with what you only have so far.

Any success stories will be greatly appreciated.

You've basically ticked every negative box there is. What is your residential status in HK?

HK Permanent Resident. I was born and raised here, after all. I wonder if this would even help my case.

Last edited by sylbea; 11-02-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Finishing your college studies and earning your degree will benefit you infinitely more than an internship or entry-level job doing manual/menial labor.

I suppose you may be right. Getting a degree will be more advantageous that way in terms of opportunities. I may have to continue my education when the moment calls for it.

So you're willing to work for free as an intern for experience instead? What is the difference between working for someone for free and finishing your (I assume) diploma at college?

I seem to say so, yes. Not necessarily permanent, just for at least some experience. What I never mentioned until now is that I've actually withdrawn from the school where I studied graphic design, and that means I won't ever be getting the diploma after all. So the possibility is either to start studying at another college, which will be quite an investment once again, or doing internship, which seems more feasible this time in my case.

If I'm going to complain that I wish I never go from there, good news is I'm not there yet. Just need some more thought into this before I can make a decision.

My company always hires local graphic designers, pay is low and you need to know your apps. Photoshop, illistrator, are the two main ones. Do you read/write Chinese?

That's the problem, I'm not fluent enough in Chinese. So naturally it's difficult to find a position in HK where Chinese is not a requirement.

The way things go, I'll most likely continue my education eventually by the end of this year or so. I've decided to just keep looking for temporary jobs to fill up all that time for now, so if anyone has any ideas or advice I'll gladly consider them.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Finishing your college studies and earning your degree will benefit you infinitely more than an internship or entry-level job doing manual/menial labor.
    Article: What's More Expensive Than College? Not Going to College.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast