Like Tree4Likes

NET Scheme / Tell me about the process...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

NET Scheme / Tell me about the process...

Hey all,

I am considering applying to the HK government's NET scheme. Can anyone who has been through the process shed some light on it?

If you have a university degree (not education subject) and TEFL, what are your chances? It just barely passes the low end of their list. On the other hand, I've seen posts where people say any NET is taken due to high demand and low supply. Is it worth applying?

Do you have to submit certificates of service from everyone or can you submit a document saying that it is unavailable? Hard to get stuff from back home when you already live in HK.

Anything else I should know?

Thanks

I think being at the lower end of the requirements scale is more likely to impact WHICH school you go to... Some schools don't even have NETs so if you meet the requirements and perform well in interview, I'm sure you'll end up in a school of some description. And hey - they all pay the same! Personally, I don't think working in a 'good' school is necessarily a better or more rewarding job - I've learnt more (about how to teach) in bad schools than good ones, and there is generally more flexibility in your teaching methods.

I would try your best to get certificates of service but if you can't, include a cover letter explaining the situation (pending/ un-contactable/ other reasons) and I'm sure it won't be a reason to throw your application in the bin.

OP - Many posters confuse NETs with EDB NETs, to be the former requires no more qualifications than the market asks for but you won't be directly employed by an EDB school. More likely you'll be a private tutor or work in a small language centre. I prefer to be freelance but that is my personal preference for being self-employed rather than employed. EDB - less money, more security?

Bryant... when he says government net scheme he is almost definitely talking about edb, especially considering his description which matches the edb application form and requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Bryant... when he says government net scheme he is almost definitely talking about edb, especially considering his description which matches the edb application form and requirements.
    Thanks JJ, I'm responding to this bit...

If you have a university degree (not education subject) and TEFL, what are your chances? It just barely passes the low end of their list. On the other hand, I've seen posts where people say any NET is taken due to high demand and low supply. Is it worth applying?

Yes, I am talking about the EDB NET

Can you make the equivalent of the HK NET pay doing freelance? EDB NET appears to pay at minimum 22k + 16k housing = 38k.

Freelance seems a little bit less (but still more than a learning center), unless you have mad skills at scheduling and advertising.

Dear JustJoe: Are you a EDB NET? Which qualifications do you have (if you don't mind sharing)? Is it more important to apply for the PNET scheme or should you contact the schools individually? Someone messaged me before saying to go in the good ole' yellow pages and start calling schools for interviews and they somehow can you get in if they like you.

....oh and I thought about only applying for the PNET. I want to enhance my TEFL and I would like to find a list of qualified institutions that issue TEFL. I want to get the 120 hours. Does anyone know how to find out which ones are accredited? (i.e. accepted by HK EDB and recognized as a TEFL not not a smelf-L).

Check this out: 120 hour TEFL for $699hkd, from TEFL Express.

$699 for a TEFL Express 120-Hr Online Advanced Certificate Course ($4597 value)

yes bryant I was responding to that bit too!

Quote Originally Posted by booth:
    Yes, I am talking about the EDB NET

Can you make the equivalent of the HK NET pay doing freelance? EDB NET appears to pay at minimum 22k + 16k housing = 38k.

Freelance seems a little bit less (but still more than a learning center), unless you have mad skills at scheduling and advertising.

Check this out: 120 hour TEFL for $699hkd, from TEFL Express.
    ]
    Both JJ and I have metioned previously that in you should not do budget TEFL course - choose CELTA or TESOL....

38k p/m is what I earnt a year ago and now couldn't live on but a year before that I earnt less than 20k p/m and I recall life being a struggle. I now own my own centre and my target is to earn 100k p/m by the end of 2012/13. On the other hand, plenty of tutors earn around 30k and that would seem pretty normal to me....depends on you, your work ethic and your risk threshold really..

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    yes bryant I was responding to that bit too!
    Hmm, my main point is that many people post about NETs on here clearly not knowing the difference, the OP referred to other posts and I just wanted to make sure he was clear.......JJ, you're sitting right next to me, why not just talk instead of this infernal typing?

booth - I'm not currently an EDB NET but will be applying for the scheme this year, same as you. I have been working as a NET (but not through EDB) for the last yr and a bit... Last year I was too late for EDB deadline, this year I only worked part time because I'm doing an MA. I am similar to you in that I don't have a PGDE, just a degree (soon an MA in linguistics which might help) and a CELTA. (but also over two year's experience in HK which might help)

I agree with you that it is very hard to make 38k freelancing, unless you're running your own business or have cheap access to a classroom and a large supply of students. I am tempted to go that route though, fully aware that it won't be as easy - but should be more rewarding in the end. Also, I'm thinking of going nito working at a university (again the salary would be lower at first but it fits in better with my preference for a career path)

Anyway - going back to the point - yes you can apply to schools directly and if they are looking for a govt NET they can help with the procedure and pretty much guarantee you a place, provided you passed the interview etc.

I'm applying for the NET scheme as a backup... I hope I won't need to use it even if I'm accepted!

Quite a rambling post - Make of it what you will - I'm off to teach!

Last edited by justjoe86; 23-02-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast