Like Tree20Likes

Is this appropriate?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is this appropriate?

Say you just got selected for an assessment test/interview for the MT program at your dream company.

You found someone on Linkedin who had been through the program. You found that person on Facebook and you're tempted to message them asking for their advice/experience.

Would this be okay? That person looks really approachable and is probably 2-3 years older than you.

yes, i would but i would start with an apology and make it known that all is ok if they decide not to respond.

what cara said.

hihk likes this.

Quick intro as to how and why you want to add / contact / talk to them as to make sure they know your not some kind of weird cyber stalker.

P.s. As Carang and MovingIn07 have said, make it known that you don't expect a reply but per chance if they do, it would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by dma; 14-03-2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: additional info
    hihk likes this.

I will say no, its not appropriate.

If you find me on LinkedIn, contact me there as thats what I use for business contacts.
    Facebook is for fun, friends and family -- I dont want to hear about business in FB

Dreadnought and hihk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:

If you find me on LinkedIn, contact me there as thats what I use for business contacts.
    Facebook is for fun, friends and family -- I dont want to hear about business in FB
    Well, you can always chose to ignore such requests (or worse, send him or her WRONG information to sabotage his or her chances to get into that company). Of course, I would never do that...

If it was very carefully and nicely written, there is about a 20% chance I would answer it.
    50% chance I would ignore it.
    30% chance I would reply with a big negative/sarcastic attitude; attitude very similar to the ones I give PCCW twits who show up at my door during dinner time.
    I dont think I'd purposely give wrong information...

However, if you contact me via LinkedIn, my response will be very nice and professional.
    Your choice

If it was very carefully and nicely written, there is about a 20% chance I would answer it.
    50% chance I would ignore it.
    30% chance I would reply with a big negative/sarcastic attitude; attitude very similar to the ones I give PCCW twits who show up at my door during dinner time.
    I dont think I'd purposely give wrong information...

However, if you contact me via LinkedIn, my response will be very nice and professional.
    Your choice
    How about just saying 100% chance of ignoring such requests or 0% chance of replying. Problem solved.

I guess its just the manner in which you look at it. Either its seen inappropriate to the person receiving the message or could be seen as the person sending the message taking initiative and eager and willing for the job.

At the end of the day its just a means of contact to the corresponding person. Does not mean that person needs to read or respond. Its like not answering your phone. There are so many business related calls I get on my Mobile as opposed to on the office phone. Its clearly my call on how i approach this.

Quote Originally Posted by dma:
    I guess its just the manner in which you look at it. Either its seen inappropriate to the person receiving the message or could be seen as the person sending the message taking initiative and eager and willing for the job.
    True, but this person found me on LinkedIn and on Facebook.
    All I'm saying is that LI is the more appropriate way to initiate contact for business purposes...
    FB is usually/normally used by people for friends and family.

If I find your business and personal email addresses, and I dont know you : how would you like it if I sent your personal address my professional questions?
    Conversely : As a friend I know both your addresses. How would you like it if I sent your business email some personal jokes and funny videos...

There is an unwritten border around our networks and email addresses - they should be respected, otherwise you may get a nasty or no response....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast