Am I being crazy? Indecision about a HK job

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Am I being crazy? Indecision about a HK job

Following my recent post about searching for teaching vacancies in Hong Kong. I have since been offered a job at a salary I am quite surprised to be offered (it's nothing surprising I guess given the amount but I didn't think I would be offered any more than 15,000 HKD!). This job will also sponsor my visa.

I feel really lucky to have secured an offer so quickly and with visa sponsorship, but the starting date is early summer which, for personal reasons, is not when I have prepared to arrive in Hong Kong. I was hoping to start working in late July / August onwards, and this would be the time I would fly out to Hong Kong if I hadn't secured any job beforehand.

I am also due to have another interview next month for a different vacancy which offers a better salary and better hours. This also will sponsor visa and commence at the end of the year. It's more ideal but my question, which I would be grateful for any advice, is do I turn down the present offer and keep searching for work for the late summer or would I be making a crazy mistake not accept the one now and just head out earlier than planned?
    I know decent vacancies that sponsor can be hard to come by when overseas so I would regret it if I found nothing else, but at the same time, I am definitely coming to Hong Kong regardless by the end of the year so should I take the chance with appling for other vacancies?

Sorry for the long post! I'm really stuck on what to do!

hiya. if you dont want it could you pass the details onto me? cos it sounds perfect.

sometimes, desperation can be a great motivator.

danke schoen.

I'll let you know, I'm still debating - is 47 hour working hours standard for this type of job? It's not all teaching but it still sounds like quite a long day o.o (nearly 10 hours)...

Quote Originally Posted by J.B:
    I'll let you know, I'm still debating - is 47 hour working hours standard for this type of job? It's not all teaching but it still sounds like quite a long day o.o (nearly 10 hours)...
    a week? that's quite long - how much is classroom time?

money talks, so 47 hours could be quite reasonable depending on what they are telling you the salary would be?

From experience in most cases there is usually a catch if something sounds too good to be true. Also, if I understand correctly you are not currently in hk and therefore cannot check out this job to the extent you should in order to feel comfortable I guess. Think hard before you decide, and I strongly recommend you to come out here before you make any serious decision. Sorry I don't mean to sound cynical

...,but I wish I had known half of what I know know when I started job hunting. Good luck though ;-) !!!

we need more info to tell u if its worth it.

where is the job and where do u wanna live.

do you work in one place or travel.

whats the salary and how big of an apartment can you handle. 100 sq ft, 200, 400, 600?

what age are u teaching too? i think younger kids, playgroup, requires a lot more energy, which is fun for a few hours a week, but full time could drive u crazy.

Teaching hours I believe, from the 10 hour day, is about 6 maybe? That probably doesn't sound too bad but I guess there is always the possibility of being asked to do more hours. Plus, it's a language centre so I would imagine it would be more working in the evening when the children come from their compulsory education?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast