Advice/help

Closed Thread

Unhappy Advice/help

Here is my story.

I am British living in London right now. I met my girlfriend 2 years ago when I studied my master here. She is chinese, from Hong Kong. She couldn't find a job in the UK and went back to HK a month ago. I am keen on joining her and planning to go to HK and find a job there.

The problem is I did my master in biotech and it doesnt seem that HK is the place for biotech. I searched on the interent for HK biotech jobs and there are not many opportunities out there. So I am worried whether I can find a job in HK and secure a work permit.

On the other hand, I have a TEFL cert and I am also considering apply a teaching job in HK, but here is the same problem, not sure whether I can secure a work permit, and I am more interested in doing science research.

So any advice, any similar stories, how your story ends ?

any advice appreciated.

Hi Timothy--

It's true that there isn't as big a biotech job market in HK as in the UK or US. Have you checked the websites of the various HK universities (HKU, HKUST, Chinese U, PolyU, CityU, BaptistU, etc.) for job openings? There are usually people looking for research assistants for various projects. Alternately, you can try finding the names of people doing work in your area in HK and emailing them directly to see if they need/want any help.

Good luck!

Holding a UK passport, you can stay in HK for at least 6 months without a work visa to meet up with your girlfriend. That should be plenty of time to look for Biotech jobs. Maybe try Macau too, as they are building like crazy over there, not much research though, or Shenzhen.

While you are looking, finding a teaching job should be no problem if you have the certification. Or you could always get married?

You may apply for RA in various universities in HK. If you're interested in proceeding to PhD, you may apply for postgraduate studentship (to receive HKD 12,500 pm) as a full time student. You may also apply for teaching job as well.

Tim, my 1st degree is Biotech, but now not working in Biotech industry, as I know, most of the R&D in biotech in hk is holding a qualification such as PhD with some post-doc experience. I think you may try to apply for PhD course (with some scholarship) or RA post, but very depends on your biotech specialty, since hk professors are tend to focus on money making research, rare on academic. (because they are also requested by their Dean to seek for research funding).

try science-related jobs

Maybe you can try science-related jobs like clinical research associate ???? I am not really sure about this industry in HK, it would be great if someone can give advice on this.

good luck!!!