Jobs that limit the use of spoken English

Closed Thread

Jobs that limit the use of spoken English

I'm here with the goal of learning Chinese. For that reason, I'm looking for a job that limits the use of spoken English.

I plan on doing Chinese intensively for the next few months, and I should have a foundation in Chinese (Mandarin) by the time I'm finished.

I would like to have a job that would force me to use Chinese in the workplace so that I can get practice using the language in day to day convos/interactions.

Does a job like this exist? Does anyone have any recommendations?

I've been told that there are jobs where you act as a middleman for reports coming from Asia back to the states, correcting grammar etc. This would be great since I wouldn't be using spoken English. Has anyone heard of this?

Also, I was told that magazines are always looking for ABCs and CBCs (I'm an ABC). I haven't seen anything yet, but I may just be looking in the wrong places. Any pointers?

TAG

I never hear the ushers on the MTR speaking English.
    Are you serious?
    Get a job working in a shop in Ho Man Tin or as a mainland tourist guide or in a karaoke bar. Or just ask your colleagues not to speak to you in English.

Strange choice to come to a place to learn its third language though... shouldn't you be in Beijing (or Taipei) if you want to learn Mandarin? Coming here to learn Mandarin is a bit like going to New York to learn Spanish...

Believe it or not, I am serious. Mainland China was too polluted for me. I have family in Taiwan and Hong Kong, but Taiwan isn't so good for business. I've also been told that people will think you're a spy if you have a Taiwanese accent (don't shoot the messenger, it came from the mouth of a Hong Kong native).

Yes, it's not the ideal location, but it's a hell of a lot better than Singapore. For me, it was the best fit. For the next year or so, I want to focus on learning Chinese. I found that when learning foreign languages, speaking your native tongue frequently is the worst thing for your progress, which is why I'd like to find a job where I'd be forced to use Chinese on a daily basis.

I am in sort of the same situation.

From what I have gathered, it is difficult to find a job that requires to use English but can speak with coworkers in Chinese. Most jobs will require basic Chinese usage in work or English with other English speakers.

It's rough, things are different since the 97 handover with Mandarin being very required.

You may consider looking for work with an NGO that works with mainland immigrants. Additionally, working in the recreation aspect of senior citizen centers as several of them have mandarin speakers as well.

good luck getting a work visa! what skill do you have that 3 million other HKers don't?
    PS> the language of most workplaces in HK is Cantonese, not Mandarin(Putonghua), so it is unlikely that your learning Mandarin will be made easier living here. Not only that but HKers are not known for their second language skills (English or Mandarin).

PPS> my response is not meant to sound nasty, just truthful.

I wish you the best of luck!