Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By gilleshk

Teaching posts

Closed Thread

Teaching posts

Hi, I'm just starting to look into teaching posts and would really appreciate where to start. My husband has already secured a good job and I would obviously want to go with him. I do however want to work and don't want to 'damage' my teaching career by being out of the classroom for too long. Its a big deal for me as I have a permanent teaching post in the UK but we really want the experience of living in HK for a couple of years at least. I have a degree and PGCE and have nearly 8 years of teaching experience under my belt. I would be happy to supply teach and then would hope to get a longer contract eventually. His job has only happened recently so I realise I might have missed some opportunities for this September. What are peoples experiences of teaching in HK - am I crazy to give up my secure job??

I don't know much about supply work here. Others could advise you more about that aspect. There are also language schools that hire on part time basis, which will get you into the swing of things.

But with your experience and qualifications, you may want to look at full time employment, either at international schools, which advertise in the papers (I think ESF have their own recruiting process), or on the government NET scheme.

With international schools, you would be teaching under similar conditions as the UK, ie, a full and varied workload and most schools follow the IB curriculum.

On the NET scheme, especially in primary schools, you would only have about a third of the workload that you do in the UK and you solely teach English language or Literacy. The bonus is, you generally work with much nicer, better behaved kids. Of course, there are other problems that offset the good points (the way things are done here, isolation, sometimes you feel that you are not a real teacher and lose independence.) Both pay similar salaries.

The NET scheme is pretty much all year recruitment so if you get your application in, you may be in time for this year's recruitment. The schools that need NETs are looking at CVs now. However, these positions are highly sought after as the NET scheme can be a cushy number if you get a good school. Quite a few teachers would be reluctant to go back into full time teaching when they go home. Also, bear in mind that Schools that are recruiting have NETs who are leaving or being pushed out for various reasons, good and bad.

Finally, you'll have to think about your UK teachers pension. Continuing to contribute whilst here can be costly over the years.

For the NET scheme, you can ask questions either on www.nesta.com (mostly secondary positions) or HKPNETs Forum - Index for primary advice.

I nearly forgot, the only professional qualification the NET scheme insists you have or get, is a TEFL certificate. Yes, it even over rides a PGCE!

Last edited by bsh; 19-04-2012 at 04:50 AM.

Don't waste any time with NET or language schools. Focus your efforts on ESF schools and Kellett. You have just about the perfect profile for ESF. Some experience but not too much so you're not too expensive, there has been a drive in recent years to lower the average experience in their schools because it was way too high and expensive and cost cutting measures have been in place for a while.

They are always short of supply teachers so you won't have any problems picking up work then you'll probably pick up a part time gig and then a permanent contract. A permanent job is highly unlikely this late in the game(hiring is done in February) however until schedules have been firmed up for next year, part time gig are still very much a possibility.

The schools are well established and offer GCSE(for now) and the IB diploma. In the primary, they have also moved to PYP. These will be excellent qualifications to get if you don't have them yet. Schools are fairly well run, kids generally much better behaved than in most schools in Western countries and salaries are very competitive particularly when you factor in the low taxes in HK. Once you get a permanent positions, the perks are also very good and the many many responsibility allowances tack on extra money.

Chinese and Australian International Schools would also be excellent choices and you would likely fit in well with staff and curriculum. If your husband has a good job...don't be in a rush to get just any job and be patient so that you can be available to get work in the right place.

I agree with most of what gilleshk said although there are a few more schools that I would consider other than just the few he mentioned.

Most jobs will have gone by now but I would still keep your eyes peeled as people are still handing in their resignations now (I know this as I will be handing in mine next week once my new contract arrives) so jobs will pop up no and then. Schools are generally a lot more desperate to fill these at short notice so it can make them easier to get.

Outside of ESF and Kellet schools I would use international schools review website (found easily through google) to get an idea of what a particular school is like, it is worth the sign up fee if it stops you making a horrible mistake, although remember to take individual reviews with a pinch of salt. Try to look for the common themes.

Indeed, I would also check out individual ESF campuses if you have the option of being fussy, I have friends working/have worked at four of them and they are all different.

Good luck anyway, I hope you find something. I enjoyed teaching in Hong Kong.

Do you think you can get a job with a uni degree, unrelated to education, plus tefl?

Thank you

A big thank you for all your replies - and in such detail. I have now registered with ESF but it appears that you can only put in a proper application if a suitable job appears. I would be living in Clearwater Bay and I've discovered there is only one secondary school there. Which other schools would be relatively near to there?
    I would regard myself as expensive as I am now on UPS. Its a disadvantage here in the UK too. I would not really be in a rush to take a job as his salary is generous but I really like my independance and don't want to be reliant on him for too long.
    How do you apply to be considered for supply teaching? Is there an agency that deals with that specifically?
    Thanks again for all your advice.

Have you also considered private tutoring (at least in the interim)?

I wouldn't worry too much about being on the UPS, most of the (good) schools here are more interested in your experience than saving a few thousand dollars a month.

If money isn't too big an issue I would really reccomend considering what school you are going to be working at and what the workload is going to be like. The really well paying schools like ESF really expect you to work hard, some schools like mine pay a little less (although for me my housing allowance makes up the shortfall) and have a much lighter workload, I teach on average 3/4 lessons a day, but then I have one week less holiday a year.

Some schools pay a lot less and still expect you to put in the hours you would do at Kellett or ESF, stay away from those!

Hi thanks very much for replying. I'm now starting to get a picture of the 'groups' of schools. (ESF, Net etc..) could you clarify the others for me. I notice on the ESF website that they are advertising for supply teachers which I will probably apply for once our visas have come through. If I'm lucky enough to get some supply that will at least get me into schools and I can start deciding what will suit me etc... Is there anywhere else that you recommend I register for supply work? We will already have accommodation tied in with my husbands job so I am pretty happy to take my time to a point, although I don't want to be not earning in the long term. Its obviously all a bit new and getting out there and gettting a feel for everything will be beneficial I'm sure. Plus I would hope to meet other teachers and get their views etc... thanks again for your views.