HK Residency ??

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HK Residency ??

Hi there,

I have been lving in Hong Kong for 5 years now. Is it true that if i am here for another 2 years (7 years total) that i will then become a permanent resident?
    My visa is a dependence visa...
    Please let me know!

Thanks!

YES . Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by tiffanymarks:
    Hi there,

I have been lving in Hong Kong for 5 years now. Is it true that if i am here for another 2 years (7 years total) that i will then become a permanent resident?
    My visa is a dependence visa...
    Please let me know!

Thanks!

take another example:
    If I am independent ViSA holder

What if after 5 years, we leave the country for half a year and then come back again, the residency period would be resetting from 0?
    Or can be counting continuously?

what is an INdependent visa?

i've never heard of it.

if you CONTINUOUSLY reside in hk for a period not less than 7 years (and can prove it), then you can apply for permanent residency.

there are some exceptions: if you are away at university and return when you have graduated, they do not discount your time in school. if you are away at boarding school, i would assume the same rules apply. if you have business trips throughout the year, they are not discounted. but if your visa expires and then you go away for 6 months, then return again, you reset the clock to 0:00

Thanks Carang, got it.
    It's 'working visa' instead of 'independent visa'.

If you go away for school, do you need to maintain your employment visa in HK?

Example:

Hk for 2 years, visa expires
    School for 4 years
    Back to Hk, new visa 1 year

Does that equal 7?

most who "go away to school" would have dependent visas... in which case they have maintained their ties to hk (parents are still here etc) and therefore time away is not discounted. HOWEVER, if you arrived in hk and then left for school, i think that would be different. you cannot possibly retain a work visa here and be away at school at the same time.

If you could get a 3 year extension, perhaps after the extension, the person resigned his post and then went to study for 2 year masters, came back and found new sponsorship prior to expiration of the prior visa. However, the person was outside of HK for 6+ months. What do you think about that?

*I am just talking for fun, hypothetically, not trying to do this :-)

i don't think that would hold water either.

So basically the 6 month rule applies. If you are outside HK for 6 months or more then it is reset.

Is there also a rule that you must be present for 6 months in HK per year.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast