Like Tree4Likes

New US law graduate interested in Hong Kong, seeking some career advice

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by booth:
    OP, depending on your background I can recommend some jobs in DC.

Mat is a prick, complains to help his poor sister and rather let her starve than lend some money.
    I think you have mixed up your posters here.

Indeed, but I think booth did not only mix up the posters...he simply has no clue ;-)

Do you even have a sister?

I owe everyone a belated thank you for taking the time to post in this thread and offer me advice.

Now that I've gotten that bar exam business out of the way and need to get the job search fired up, I thought I'd revive it...any comments are welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there:
    Honest opinion - you should focus your job search efforts in the US for now at regional or mid sided firms as there are just more jobs, even if they aren't the biglaw placement that you thought you would get. Bottom line is that there isn't much room at the Wall Street firms and their competitors for junior associates with average grades these days. There are a very limited number of firms in HK that take on junior US lawyers, they only hire a very limited number of junior lawyers and the lawyers they do hire tend to fit very specific criteria (excellent grades, summer internship, and native Mandarin is becoming more and more common as PRC law grads go on to complete LLMs at schools like NYU and Harvard). Out of the three junior associates (first and second years) at my firm right now, two are PRC residents with LLMs and the third spent her first year in London and then came out here originally on a secundment.
    The problem with smaller firms is that they don't offer a career path to Asia. Or at least I'm not aware of how a transfer to Asia would work. I'd rather not be a lawyer, if being a lawyer meant that I would be stuck in the states forever. These firms also have practice areas that are mostly litigation-focused. I never intended to be a trial lawyer - don't believe I have the temperament or interest.

What about compliance? Some of these jobs seem to be JD preferred but not required - are there jobs like this in Hong Kong or elsewhere in Greater China?

Does anyone know a good legal recruiter for in-house/legal compliance positions ?

I am working at an international law firm here and the boyfriend is trying to come as well.

He is California-qualified lawyer who is currently working as a contract attorney for Genentech. He is looking to move to Hong Kong and is ready to start work as soon as possible. His interests are in-house corporate transactional but would probably be interested in compliance as well. He's only 1.5 years PQE though...which may be a problem.

Thanks for any tips/advice!!